Better Firefox Autocompletion at a price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I do not like the autocomplete function in Firefox because it is not flexible enough and compares urls only from the beginning. I sometimes happen to remember part of the title or url of the website but not the beginning of the url which means that I only could search through all urls that I have visited until I found the one that I wanted to visit again.
The Firefox Autocomplete Manager adds the functionality that should have implemented in the default function. It adds support to complete page titles, bookmarks, match any part of the url and exclude local pages as well as search results. This is great if you can remember the page title only or part of the url because this extension really delivers those urls.
Several other options can improve the display and functionality of the autocomplete function. The sorting criteria for instance can be changed as well as the appearance of the results in the appearance popup.
This extension however has one major drawback. It did raise the memory usage of Firefox by 100%. While it initially used roughly 45 Megabyte with some opened tabs it rose to 90 Megabyte after installing this extension.
This is rather problematic and should be dealt with by the author of the Firefox add-on. I will therefor not use this extension yet but it could still be useful for those users who rely heavily on this feature and have enough resources to keep the extension installed.
via Firefox Mastery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom