Backup the Opera Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
OperaFly 2.0 is for Opera what FeBe or Mozbackup is for Firefox. That pretty much sums it up and I could stop writing at this point but I suppose you want additional information. I would like to start by thanking the Cybernet News Blog for finding this gem. OperaFly can be downloaded in two versions, one is an installer and the other an archive that can be unpacked to the computer. The installer, or some options presented in it, seems to be a bit buggy right now, especially the option to integrate OperaFly in the Opera Tools Menu. I'm not the only one who has received an error according to the comments on the author's homepage.
The installation nevertheless will go through and OperaFly will become available in the Windows Start Menu. It tries to automatically detect the correct Opera directory during first start, if that is not successful you need to manually locate the correct directory. Once that is out of the way you can specify a directory to save the backups in and what should be included in the backup.
By default everything will be backed up including bookmarks, cookies, mails, news and site preferences. All in all 29 different items can be included or excluded in the backup.

The backup itself can be initiated by right-clicking on the OperaFly icon in the system tray (Start Backup Now). Backups can also be scheduled by using the OperaFly Schedule Editor which offers options to create backups as often as you like.
I had some troubles with some of the options though and would like to describe them right now. The first thing that I noticed was that the integration in the Opera Tool menu did not work. Not a huge problem though. Far more problematic was that OperaFly did not recognize my version of Opera 9.5 although it was running. It was telling me that Opera was not running although it identified the Opera directory correctly in the options.
I guess that related to the automatic update problem. OperaFly has a option to automatically backup the Opera profile whenever Opera closes. This did not work on my computer and I think it is related to the problem that OperaFly did not recognize Opera although it was running.
Last but not least the right-click menu in the system tray was returning a blank menu whenever the main program window was open.It did turn back to normal once the window was closed.
OperaFly could become an essential tool for every Opera user if the author manages to get rid of the bugs that I encountered. As of now it's great for manually backing up Opera.

Backup the Opera Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom