Amarok is now Available for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
In my last post about everyone's preferred music player, I mentioned that I was dying to try out the Linux player Amarok because I'd heard great things about. There's just one problem: I'm a Windows user.
Luckily, the guys at Amarok have decided to give the Windows users a taste of what this music player is all about. The process of porting Amarok to Windows is well under way and seems to be going quite well.
All their hard work is paying off. They recently released a version of the program for Windows users to take out for a test run. There is one small thing though. You can't just download the program. You also have to have the KDE installer and all its binaries.

Techbase has posted a full tutorial on how to go about setting up Amarok for Windows. The first thing you do is download and run the KDE installer. This will allow you to run all KDE apps (like Amarok) on your Windows machine. Apart from the installer, you will also need to download some libraries. Otherwise you'll wind up with ‘missing dlls' and other similar error messages.
Once you've set up KDE on your machine, do a test run to check if it is working properly. Once past this stage, download the Amarok package and run it on your machine. Amarok will be installed and all ready for you to try out.
I'm not quite jumping for joy yet. The KDE installer and its binaries are well over 200 MB to download, which is huge for me since I don't have a very fast connection. Plus I'm pretty much command-line challenged and I'm a little scared that I'll screw something up and suffer the wrath of the other folks who use the machine. Basically, I haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot over the weekend.
Are you going to give Amarok a try? What did you like / not like about it? Linux users, what's the best and worst thing you've noticed about Amarok? Let's hear your voices in the comments.

Amarok is now Available for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom