360 Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
360 Desktop

Well I finally got a notification that 360 degree desktop was ready, something I've been eagerly awaiting for for a number of months now. I saw a brief preview of it in a PC magazine and was very interested to see it, but you had to sign up and wait on the website. However, you don't actually need an invitation, you can go right to the website and try it out now.
One big advantage Linux users have over Windows is that Linux has multiple desktop environment's built right in, Windows doesn't. Sure you can get applications to get them, but to be honest I'm yet to discover one which does a completely satisfactory job.
360 Desktop was developed to break the desktop out from the ‘box' we're accustomed to and instead provide a panoramic desktop looping in three dimensions and hosting widgets and web gadgets.

Give it a little time when you load it up the first time, don't get annoyed if it lags a little, you'll find it soon speeds up. Memory usage is pretty low and scrolling the desktop around is smooth and fluent.
You can use the scroll button on the mouse to move across the desktop rapidly, while a little box in the upper-right hand corner notifies you exactly where on the desktop you are.

I'm going to be using it for a few more days before giving my opinon on it as being more, or less productive then the standard desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom