10 Freeware Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Audio, Video and Pictures
  • MWSnap - An excellent free screen capturing utility which I use to create most of the screenshots for Ghacks.
  • SMPlayer - an mplayer frontend that supports most video formats right out of the box without installing codecs. Lightweight resource friendly alternative to VLC.
  • XMPlay - more than an alternative for Winamp. Offers all the important features of Winamp, plugins, skins plus the ability to save audio streams. Lightweight using less resources. Only thing missing is AAC+ support. Anyone know of a plugin that adds that support ?
Files, File Handling
  • IZArc - I have been using WinRar for a long time but decided to give the free IZArc a try and was pleasantly surprised by the archiver. It supports a multitude of formats and offers all the features that I need. Best of all it is free like all the other programs here.
  • My Uninstaller - we all that the Windows uninstaller offers a pretty basic functionality. My Uninstaller is able to uninstall multiple softwares at once, remove dead entries and provides additional information about the entries as well.
Internet
  • Giganews Accelerator - downloads compressed headers from the Usenet with a speed gain of about 800%. Works only with Giganews.
  • Grab++ - If you are serious about downloading multimedia files from websites that do not offer that option you should give Grab++ a try. It tries to capture the direct link to the media file which can then be pasted in a download manager to download the file.
Windows
  • Folder Guide - quickly access drives, folders and files from the right-click menu. I have added every folder and file that I use on a daily basis there.
  • QT TabBar - adds tabs for the Windows Explorer. Instead of navigating with one window only or dozens of open windows you can now use tabs to have everything accessible in one window. Can't live without it anymore.
  • Wallpaper Juggler - This program changes your wallpaper automatically after a given time making it a nice program if you have more than one favorite wallpaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom