So psp2 looks like some legit stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never liked handhelds but this things offers such incredible specs i'm not sure i will be able to resist. Pretty excited about it..

The reason i didn't like previous handhelds is because the quality of games between home consoles and portables was to large, i didn't like the inferiority of handheld games. the controls were always awkward and the screens wern't great in quality or size.

PSP2 fix's all of that. And more!

When you mentioned this to me Max, I was like oh great another psp with the same hardware etc. But now i looked into it and seen the hardware has improved alot i might say im definetly going to have this :)

I am not sure.. I will definitely need to see if I can use it first. Quality of games is the final decider. I am not complaining about my psp as it cost me $20. But the quality of games lacked, and I think FPS on the thing is non existent. I would like to see either some quality 3rd person or 1st person games. I would also like the analog sticks to feel more like a controller. I thought the psp's analog stick sucked. But so far the NGP is looking good as well as the game catalog that is rumored to be coming out with it.

They want to ship this beast in the US by Christmas. We will probably get a final word at E3 this year on a ship date for US at least.

To quell your fears a bit, the original PSP has an analogue nub. In most previews of the NPG you will see most people comment on how the sticks are definitely more controller like, but a bit smaller - obviously.

Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted are all coming to the NPG and those are just the ones announced thus far. I think a lot of devs were put off FPS games because of 1 analogue stick, and rightly so. The controls would be awkward.

I might be being over analytical here, but the thing is supposed to have an OLED display, right ? well i am pretty sure the one they used in the prototypes to show people was either the worst OLED ever made or not an OLED at all. OLED's are known for there incredible contrast levels, with extremely deep inky blacks. Yet you watch any video where there is a black scene and it's not particularly black. It looks much more akin to the screens apple is using on the iPad and iPhone (Good colours but lame black levels).

Maybe, and i hope so, that the cameras poor dynamic range was making the black look greyer than it was.

One thing that will help the PSP 2, the move to flash based media for games. Smaller than a disc (probably the biggest issue with a regular psp IMO) and can store far more data for larger games than a disc. This will also help with loading times a LOT. I would love to see consoles one day go back to the cartridge instead of discs for one reason, and it's not that it's more difficult to pirate a cartridge based game for a console, it's the fact that loading times are almost gone compared to a hard drive or dvd. The only reason consoles went from cartridges to discs is because it was far, far cheaper to use a cd than a cartridge that had almost NO memory to store a game on in the 90's.

Yeh it's good in theory corrosive but it may have potential drawbacks. Number one is the fact that it's there own type of flash media, almost definitely to reduce piracy. But this has a problem. Because it is a brand new type of storage, it may be expensive to produce. And even if it costs the same as an SD card, the prices are fine up to 2 or 4gb. But get bigger than that and it's going to start costing sony several dollars, maybe even more, per flash card. This could put the price of games. You could easily argue however, by Sony using there own memory format they could produce themselves and cut out the middleman to save money. In fact it probably is just the same as an SD card with a different body and shape. Also, expensive Blu-Ray discs never seemed to harm PS3 Game prices. So who knows, it could go either way.

Another disadvantage i see with flash media is that they are so easy to loose. Due to their size i would of hoped Sony would do at least one of two things, the best option would be to have 2 or 3 of these flash slots so you can keep 2 or 3 games in the psp2- very few people play more than 2 or 3 games at the same period of time. Or the cheaper option would be just to put little slots in the PSP2 to keep the flash cards in.

I am ready for the psp2 i just have one concern and thats the price of the games if the price stays around 30 or maybe $40 per game and thats stretching it this system will do well but if they try charging 50 or $60 dollars per game there is no way psp2 is going to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom