PS4 Repair (Out of Warranty)

PopoChubbs

Casually Filthy
Hi guys! So, 2 Septembers ago (the release day of Destiny, to be exact), I bought the bundle with the white PS4. I got as much warranty/protection on it as I could, but all of that has expired, and now I'm having the worst disc eject problem. Every 10 seconds the mechanism fires off, so much so that will even turn itself on to eject a disc that isn't even there, and I have to unplug it to keep it from going nuts. I can stream just fine, but the drive sound underlies everything. I've read nothing but horror stories on PS' own forum regarding even warrantied replacements, and am now SUPER skeptical of sending mine in. Is there a way to get this thing fixed that doesn't involve shady doings or dropping an obscene amount of money on another one?

Any and all help/advice appreciated. I saw one of us here had gone through 6 units, but never heard how that ended...hopefully I'm not stuck on that route either. I've tried all the common fixes (screw tightening, rubber foot removal, etc.), but to no avail.

Hi guys! So, 2 Septembers ago (the release day of Destiny, to be exact), I bought the bundle with the white PS4. I got as much warranty/protection on it as I could, but all of that has expired, and now I'm having the worst disc eject problem. Every 10 seconds the mechanism fires off, so much so that will even turn itself on to eject a disc that isn't even there, and I have to unplug it to keep it from going nuts. I can stream just fine, but the drive sound underlies everything. I've read nothing but horror stories on PS' own forum regarding even warrantied replacements, and am now SUPER skeptical of sending mine in. Is there a way to get this thing fixed that doesn't involve shady doings or dropping an obscene amount of money on another one?

Any and all help/advice appreciated. I saw one of us here had gone through 6 units, but never heard how that ended...hopefully I'm not stuck on that route either. I've tried all the common fixes (screw tightening, rubber foot removal, etc.), but to no avail.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of the PS4s out there. I had a problem with mine as well about 2 months after I got it. If you slide the cover off your PS4, there is a screw that allows you to manually move the disc tray in an out. You will need a flashlight and a small/medium Phillips head screwdriver. I'm not sure if that will fix your issue, but it did for me. I think for whatever reason the tray gets off track or something. What I did to fix mine is turn the screw so that it was fully in the out position and then did the opposite. I repeated that a few times. Make sure that you give it a couple of extra turns when the tray is in the fully out and in positions. I haven't really had any issues since.

This should help you find the screw:
https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PS4-Manually-Eject-a-Stuck-Disc/?

Replace the drive?

I recently replaced the drive with a TB Hybrid

Is it the eject button?

I believe the button itself is not faulting, or if it's even really a "button" and not just a touch switch. It doesn't move when I try to push it. I pulled the little foot out from under it a while back, but that hasn't really fixed anything.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of the PS4s out there. I had a problem with mine as well about 2 months after I got it. If you slide the cover off your PS4, there is a screw that allows you to manually move the disc tray in an out. You will need a flashlight and a small/medium Phillips head screwdriver. I'm not sure if that will fix your issue, but it did for me. I think for whatever reason the tray gets off track or something. What I did to fix mine is turn the screw so that it was fully in the out position and then did the opposite. I repeated that a few times. Make sure that you give it a couple of extra turns when the tray is in the fully out and in positions. I haven't really had any issues since.

This should help you find the screw:
https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PS4-Manually-Eject-a-Stuck-Disc/?

I knew you could turn that screw, but everything I read said to just tighten it. Your method is the only one I haven't tried yet. Hopefully that does SOMEthing, cause this is a real bummer. Thanks you guys.

It's super easy according to this. Of course, you gotta do more reading because apparently it's not as simple as putting a new disc drive in.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+4+Optical+Drive+Replacement/24720

Oh man, this sounds like it's own nightmare, sans shipping. The optical drive isn't PnP, so unless it's married to your MoBo, you need a new one of those too, and at that point, who knows what other problems will arise from trying to get that going as well? I can see why Sony just ships you a whole "new" unit (or used DVD player, if you're lucky), and not just for expeditious reasons. The entire f*cking thing is integrated.

Back
Top Bottom