PS3 Slim Eats Half the Electricity of the PS3 Fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
PS3 Slim Eats Half the Electricity of the PS3 Fat

Hands on testing has found that the new PS3 Slim consumes half the power of the old 60GB PS3. It would seem that Sony was being a bit conservative when they pegged the number at 34%.

Yes, because the PS3 Slim now uses about half the power of the Xbox 360 while gaming (96 watts vs 187 watts). No, because the PS3 Slim still uses about 4x more power during Blu-ray playback than you see in a Samsung standalone player (81 watts vs 22 watts). In other words, the PS3 Slim is efficient for an HD game console, wasteful for a Blu-ray player.

It's still nice though that it saves power over the old PS3 and Xbox 360 when gaming.
If you want to watch Blu-ray movie, a blu-ray player would be better suitable.
The PS3 Slim is for gaming. The Blu-Ray player is a nice feature but not essential.

It's still nice though that it saves power over the old PS3 and Xbox 360 when gaming.
The PS3 Slim is for gaming. The Blu-Ray player is a nice feature but not essential.

Well that's what a lot of people still use it for...lol: a Blu-Ray player. That's the main selling point of a PS3, is that it has BluRay.

I only have a couple blu-rays, but I watch a lot of movies on it in digital form.

That's pretty cool (for games at least, kind of sucks about the blu-ray though). I think it's funny how they called the older version PS3's "PS3 fat" haha.

That's what they called 'em for the older PS2 and newer PS2's ;). Old PS2 was the fat PS2, and then they made the slim PS2.

Same here. You have to wait really long if you're going to hold out for the slim. However, I actually do have the tiny psone, and, personally, they did a way better job with that way back when then they have with the ps3 slim, as far as design goes. Idk if it eats half the power of the original or not. But yeah, they called it ps one as opposed to playstation slim instead of playstation 1. They waited really long on it. It launched in the same year as the ps2, and actually after it.

I have a ps1 fat too. When I bought the ps2 fat it was either that or a portable ps1 that had a flip up screen.

Well i have to agree with carnage as the Blu-Ray is a big selling feature for me.

If they made ps3's without the blu-ray they would still probably cost around the $200 mark and a decent blu-ray player here costs $200 + so at the new price for the ps3 its a win win ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom