PS3 Died - How Can You Copy/Backup The Hard Disk Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fazza

Baseband Member
Hi!

The chef in the canteen at work's PS3 has just died, he called Sony and they confirmed it is dead and he needs to buy a replacement as it's out of warranty!

Is it possible to copy the data off of the hard disk that the PS3 has as when he asked Sony they said it wasnt as the data is enchrypted?

As the unit is dead he cant perform a backup using the menu system on the PS3.

Could I use something like Ghost to image the hard disk drive or is the enchryption specific to each PS3?

Thanks in advance.

:smile:

No you cant use Ghost. They dont use a format that is recognized by a PC. They are right the information is encrypted. The only thing that could be done is the PS3 sent to Sony and they replace the new units hard drive with the old one. Or your friend does it. Either way there isnt anything that can be done by end users.

No you cant use Ghost. They dont use a format that is recognized by a PC. They are right the information is encrypted. The only thing that could be done is the PS3 sent to Sony and they replace the new units hard drive with the old one. Or your friend does it. Either way there isnt anything that can be done by end users.

That's what I thought but I thought I'd post anyway just to make sure.

When he spoke to Sony they said they wouldn't swap the hard disk over for him and he would need to send his PS3 back to them and then basically buy a repaired/refurbished model from them :(

When I just spoke to our Chef who's having this problem, he said that his model of PS3 automatically backed itself up - I did ask him if he used an external hard disk or memory stick for this automatic backup but he just looked back at me blankly!

Is he correct about an automatic backup - if so would it be online somewhere?

PS3â„¢ | Backup Utility

doesn't say anything about network storage. odd.

"Data can be backed up on Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, CompactFlash®, and USB mass storage devices. An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models of the PS3™ system. Disc media such as CD-R cannot be used."

Thanks for the replies, I think he must have been getting confused with the automatic backup thing.

Yeah, if you put a hard drive from one ps3 into another, it will want to format. His data is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom