PS3 - Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Beta member
The PS3 is advertised as having Blu-Ray Technology, What exactly is Blu-Ray?

I have heard Blu-Ray disks have a much higher capacity than dvd's. Will this tecnology not make the xbox 360 obsolete when the PS3 is released?

There has been much written on this in the forums. My consensus is that although it may have more capacity, the only true perks you will see is either via movies, the making of's where 2 DVD specials on a game can be put into one. The reason being is the cost of production. As of now, we are looking at a increase in price for games. Now imagine how much more developement time would be devoted in taking advantage of that huge amount of space. You are talking a major increase in the time to make these titles (wow, hope the game engine isn't out dated by then!!!) and as a result, an increase in game prices due to overhead (paying programmers, liscense fee's, artists, etc). It would be much easier to take the common denominator and spread it across the playing field. The result? All 3rd party (as in, non exclusive titles) will look pretty much the same with minimal graphic tweaks if any at all. Plus, the technology for rendering graphics in the 360 through synthesis and the way it encodes it's data means that it can directly read and display compressed data and images. This saves MASSIVE amounts of space. KEEP IN MIND you have not nor will you see the full potential for 2 or 3 years, and I'm talking for all 3 consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom