playstation = optical drive generations

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
as you can all notice that first playstation consoles were played with cd-rom drives and playstation 2 on dvd and playstation 3 on blu-ray so would playstation 4 mean next generation optical drive?

I think that would be true if both HD-DVD and Blu Ray fail.

If not, I dont see another format coming along for another 10 years or so. Just like DVD.

I would have to agree with dwilliam. Unless Sony takes a long time for the next gen console, but thats up in the air. If neither of these formats take off you will see media going back to the drawing boards. All speculation, though, as there is no way to determine this until it actually occurs.

Most Likely Playstation 4 will have this Type of disc:

Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an optical disc technology still in the research stage which would greatly increase storage over Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD optical disc systems. It employs a technique known as collinear holography, whereby two lasers, one red and one blue-green, are collimated in a single beam. The blue-green laser reads data encoded as laser interference fringes from a holographic layer near the top of the disc while the red laser is used as the reference beam and to read servo information from a regular CD-style aluminium layer near the

These discs have the capacity to hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information, which is approximately 6,000 times the capacity of a CD-ROM, 830 times the capacity of a DVD, 160 times the capacity of single-layer Blu-ray Discs, and about 5 times the capacity of standard computer hard drives as of 2007. The HVD also has a transfer rate of 1 gigabit/s. Optware was expected to release a 200 GB disc in early June 2006, and Maxell in September 2006 with a capacity of 300 GB and transfer rate of 20 MB/s [3] [4]. Since the announcement, there have been no further news or products on market.

Attachments

• hvd_disc.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom