Intel Will Design PlayStation 4 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I hope you guys are sarcastic. It's a ray traced image. Completely rendered by a computer. Larabee is an extremely powerful graphics processor.

Yes, yes, all games will look great, that is what they claimed at the launch of the 360 and PS3, you just have to rmember, will the programmers and devs really make the games take advantage of that sort of thing? Last time I heard most games don't look like they promised for the PS3 or 360...

Yes, yes, all games will look great, that is what they claimed at the launch of the 360 and PS3, you just have to rmember, will the programmers and devs really make the games take advantage of that sort of thing? Last time I heard most games don't look like they promised for the PS3 or 360...

yeah true. i dont know why they dont make an effort to make the games take advantage of it though. i guises it would cost more for them to do than wouldn't it.

Just to clarify, Larabee will also be on the PC, and it will be a video card before the PS4 comes out. So us PC owners still get the goods first. I don't know exactly what it will cost, but it shouldn't be any more than current high end video cards. And considering how fast this thing is supposed to be worth it.

Also I'm fairly certain that image was rendered with the ray tracing engine in 3dsmax. Wikipedia has a good article on Ray tracing and will give you a fairly in depth over view. That's where I got the image from.

Hmmm. How fast is Larabee meant to be exactly? Like a GTX 285 killer sorta thing or a 4830 sorta card?

I know its different technologies but humor me.

Intel's SIGGRAPH 2008 paper describes simulations of Larrabee's projected performance.[7] Graphs show how many 1 GHz Larrabee cores are required to maintain 60 FPS at 1600x1200 resolution in several popular games. Roughly 25 cores are required for Gears of War with no antialiasing, 25 cores for F.E.A.R with 4x antialiasing, and 10 cores for Half-Life 2: Episode 2 with 4x antialiasing. It is likely that Larrabee will run faster than 1 GHz, so these numbers are conservative.[13] Another graph shows that performance on these games scales nearly linearly with the number of cores up to 32 cores. At 48 cores the performance scaling is roughly 90% of linear.

Slide_scaling.jpg

Larrabee will compete with high end cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom