Intel Will Design PlayStation 4 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Intel Will Design PlayStation 4 GPU

According to Charlie over at TheInq, the PlayStation 4 will use an Intel GPU. The article cites bad blood between Sony and NVIDIA as part of the reason for the move and goes on to say that Intel might even be doing the CPU. Of course this is all still unconfirmed, and 2012 is a few years away, but it is always fun to speculate.

Some people hanging around the Sony booth at CES were nice enough to let us in on the scoop. It seems Nvidia has proverbially bent Sony over like they did MS on the XBox, and are not really welcome there any more. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys, either way, but hardly an unexpected outcome.

According to the article the ps4 will use larabee which is a whole lot more powerful than any current intel gpu.

Larabee is pretty much already done. They haven't shipped it yet, but last I heard they were making low production run engineering samples in August. I would guess the the PS4 would use an updated version of Larabee. This is good new for Sony. Larabee is Ray tracing capable, which many advantages over rasterized graphics, but at the same time Larabee supports full DirectX and since its essentially a massively parallel x86 chip it should be easy to program for. If they do it right the PS4 could easily be the most powerful console of its generation.

Just to give you an idea of what Larabee can do.

Image Link (Brakes skin)

This is a ray traced image. It was rendered with current hardware and took a long time to make. Larabee does that, but with real time acceleration.

According to the article the ps4 will use larabee which is a whole lot more powerful than any current intel gpu.

Ok good.. because I was about to say... choosing Intel would have been really dumb if it was not Larabee...

As for that pic, Zmatt, it looks real good... looks extremely realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom