High ping.. how can I decrease it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymel

Beta member
We've got rural wireless broadband (not the satellite kind, but the kind that comes from a tower - not 3G). Our "package" is 1536k/384k. Our ping rate is horrible. It goes all over the place, from 60s to 200s. Mostly around 150 or so, though. MW3 multiplayer is very frustrating with the lag. I've read that it's not the download speed that is important but the ping time. How can ping time be decreased?? Our router is a Linksys WRT54G. We've got a new N router coming, not sure if that will help anything though. Will going to the next speed up in for internet make much difference? That package is 2048k/1024k. Don't know that I want to spend $20 more/month for minimal improvement. Thanks!

The internet speed can become a factor if it is being used by multiple things. An example would be a ping spike when something auto updates during a game.

Hows the signal on the router? If it varies, it can cause a large ping. My friend had that problem, and an Ethernet cable fixed it.
Also, make sure that your computer is secure and clean of all forms of malware. Years ago, I had an infected computer and dial up. When I had the viruses (dialers), my ping was very high, in the thousands.

If you're playing and a lot of people including you are on the internet it may slow down the speed of the internet. I also have some problems playing online when others are Skyping or downloading stuff. I usually just play when there is no one other than me on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom