Friend buying PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
My friend is getting a PS3 80GB for his bday. Before he starts asking for technical help with it, are there any limitations of it that I should be made aware? (to make the process easier)

Any other helpful hints would be good, too :)

Also, thanks for the hard drive replacement guide; that's my bday present to him and so it should be very helpful.

Limitations in regards to what exactly?

I guess the only thing that really comes to mind right away, is you can't have multiple network profiles on your PS3. So if your friend is going from say to your house to his house back and forth to play PS3 online... then he will have to re-configure the network (wireless or wired) each time.

I don't know, really :p That's kind of what I'm asking. Things you might expect it to do, but it can't, or things that the 360 (both I and he have one) will do easily but are harder on PS3.

Another thing I noticed it can't do like the 360 is play music during a game. Not that big of an issue, but still can't be done.

Yeah this is kinda to much an open ended question. I have both systems and I have no issue doing pretty much anything on either system. So find out what specifically he is looking for. Like does this system come with WiFi or not? Can he have multiple profiles on there or not? Is the system one of the few that is backward compatible with PS2 games or will they all have to be bought and downloaded through the playstation store.

If you asked more things along that line, we might be able to help. But as far as limitations, the sky is the limit. I have yet to find a limit to what I can do with my PS3. So I really dont understand at all what your trying to get at.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Sorry about that.
Multiple profiles is a good question, though.

All ps3s have built in wifi. I know a few of the older games you were able to play music. Only the old 60gig models are backwards compatible. The ps3 is fixing to get Google chrome and cross game chat....hmmmmm...whatelse...if i think of anything else I'll let you know lol

All ps3s have built in wifi. I know a few of the older games you were able to play music. Only the old 60gig models are backwards compatible. The ps3 is fixing to get Google chrome and cross game chat....hmmmmm...whatelse...if i think of anything else I'll let you know lol

Not true. There are some models that were first made that didnt come with WiFi. Granted they were the 20GB models and not the 80GB models but still. Not every PS3 has WiFi.

As for backward compatiblity, yet again not quite. There are 80GB models that came with PS2 compatiblity. Here and Here are examples of reviews written by people who talk about it as well. They show that the 80GB model does have PS2 capabilities, but it is not fully backward compatible meaning that you have about a 50/50 chance your game will work. You have to make sure it wasnt the re-release of the 80GB model and one of the original systems released to have PS2 support. So there is a level of backward compatibility. There is talk that the new 4000 version model will have PS2 compatibility again as well. It is yet unconfirmed at this time.

So as you see there are many things to be asking about cause it isnt as clear cut as people think. There are many versions of the PS2 out there and it is very easy to lump them all together by the size of storage than realize that there was a re-release of the 80GB model that didnt include the emulator chip that the original 80GB model did.

Yes it is possible to have multiple profiles. I have 3 on mine alone. But the amount of consoles you will be able to link a profile to is gonna start to be limited to 5 consoles. So your friend can sign in to 5 different consoles at any time and download content to them from his account and have it stored on that machine.

Wow. even I didnt realize that there was so many different models. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom