Firmware 2.6 Rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronkupen

Fully Optimized
Okay so firmware 2.60 is releasing shortly, probably today. It is going to add enhanced photo viewing capabilities, divx 3.11 support, and guest user access to the playstation store. My complaint -- how come 99% of the firmware updates do nothing but enhance the media capacilities of the ps3 where as 1% actually try to help the gaming envinronment (better friends list, crosss game voice chat, enhanced in game xmb support, and the list goes on). Honestly, why is Sony even bothering with this? Why have wasted resources programming photo apps that should be secondary when they could be trying to enhance these necessary features?

It leaves me with two logical conclusions (I don't really think Sony is arrogant enough to not understand that they need to concentrate on gaming at this point. Also with no PS4 officially planned, I don't think they have given up on the PS3 yet).
a) Their programming resources are extremely poor.
b) The hardware is not up to it.

Ah I don't know... I'm all for updating firmware and enhancing capabilities, but it is starting to get old. </endRant>

Any thoughts?

i agree with you on this i think they should focus on games more then anything else

if i want a all-in-one media / game player i would stick to my pc, i just want the thing to play games

That's the thing too, I use my ps3 has a media center, and I use it everyday. But at the same time, if I had to pick between better gaming support or what I currently have, I would go for gaming support.

It's at the point where I want to buy a 360 Arcade to get MSoft's quality software and keep the PS3 as just a media center.

Yep Yep. I have both and basically the only real use my PS3 gets anymore is for my small blu-ray collection and DVD/Blu-Ray rentals (for the upscaler). All the gaming I do is on the 360, and the only game I can see myself getting on the PS3 soon is Killzone 2 and maybe Uncharted 2.

i've had a few bad experiences with the xbox 360 found the hardware side of it basically bull

but i've been using my ps3 for a blu-ray player more then a game player so yeah

just because theres a few cheap games i ended up getting the last few days it would just be sat there collecting dust (got folklore fo £4.99 new and black site for £10)

Its due to marketing, (eww), I hate it as well, platforms are being hit hard with the competition using ads and and the internet, there focus is first money, the pc suffers the same stigma.

I have to disagree. For me most of these updates are very welcome since I use my PlayStation more as a media centre than as a games console. I do play and have around 20 retail games + 10 or so downloaded ones, but not nearly as much as on my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom