Configure Wireless On PS3 For Linksys WRT54G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
im going to a friends house who is having this problem they have them connected wirelessy but when the ps3 is in use the network gets disconnected

i know theres a guide and way to fix this and set it up correctly so im looking for someone to post a good guide on how to do this so the ps3 can use online and the network also can without pushing each other off

You should be using DCHP on your router. Setup your wireless signal properly (hide the SSID, encrypt the network with WPA, etc). After you have that setup go to your PS3 and setup the wireless network manually. I know that isn't a manual, but it is pretty straight forward. If you've already setup a network properly, then you should have no issues connecting your PS3 - i was able to do it within 2 minutes.

Step by step:
1. log into your router through a wired connection
2. setup the router to use DHCP
3. setup the network with a strong name
4. hid the network name (SSID)
5. encrypt that signal with WPA or WPA2 if available
6. write down the security key
7. log into your PS3
8. setup a network manually
9. enter all the information you've created from the steps above, including checking the box that says connect to SSID even if not broadcasted
10. bam you should be connected

The only reason you would get kicked off the network is if you aren't using DHCP on the router and the router is actually giving specific IP addresses to the devices. Then if you have two devices that have the same IP you'll get an IP conflict and one device will get kicked off.

The other issue is latency. You can't download or transfer files on your network and expect a game to work over the network. I play Call of Duty all the time, but if i'm downloading something on another computer or transfering files on the same network i will get kicked out of the game.

hmmm...

I have a WRT54G and I can play stuff online on my pc while dling on my pc and vice versa. The xbox can to. Does that only happen to people who are running their router in that mode?

Perhaps, i thought it was just a bandwidth issue but maybe not...

Are you hard wired into your router with your Xbox? The only time i see lag is when my laptop (wireless) is downloading stuff and i try to play an online game with my ps3 (wireless). I don't know if i would have the same issue if i was downloading through a wired connection OR if i had the PS3 wired into the router.

Something to test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom