About to buy PS3

DZimmy

Baseband Member
Dear all,
I am heavily thinking about buying PS3, since I will get new LCD TV. SENCOR SLE 26F06T.

But I am a totally new into this.
1) Is there anything I should be aware of?
2) Is there any possibility the TV wouldn't work with the console?
3) Isn't 12GB HDD too low? I am about to play only RDR and MK9 at once at the beginning and do not plan to play anyhow much.
4) Connecting to internet is really only a matter of connecting to wi-fi router? There aren't any additional fees like for X360, right?

Here is the store: SONY Playstation 3 - 12GB SuperSlim | MALL.CZ
I have to buy it there, because I have coupons for that store.

Sorry for so many questions.
Looking forward for your help.

Best Regads,
DZimmy

Yeah getting online is super easy. I personaly would get one with bigger hard drive since having more space is always nice. Also there should be no problem hooking to any tv. And no extra fees there is ps+ if you want it though and there a deal now if you buy a year u get 3 months free i think it's worth it u get a lot of free games

Last edited:
1) Is there anything I should be aware of?
It's hard to say. If you're getting a 12GB, that means you're getting the newer modeled "super slim". They haven't been out long enough to know if there are any issues. That said, the issues with the launch "Fat Boys" were caused by the heat they put off, and the slims got rid of that issue, so the super slim will probably be the same as the slim with no issues to worry about. Whatever the case, I always advise people to make sure they leave their consoles in a well ventilated area so as to avoid heat issues.

2) Is there any possibility the TV wouldn't work with the console?
I doubt it. The Sencor has 3 HDMI inputs, so you should be fine if you go with HDMI. Just make sure you get a HDMI cable as the PS3 won't include one. Also make sure that the cable is long enough to meet your needs. You should be able to get a decent length cable for pretty cheap. Don't go with the Monster type cables that cost a lot of money. Pretty much any HDMI cable will work.

3) Isn't 12GB HDD too low? I am about to play only RDR and MK9 at once at the beginning and do not plan to play anyhow much.
12GB is small, especially if you plan on making any Playstation Network purchases. However, if you just plan on playing the games you mentioned using a disk, you should be okay. You can also upgrade your hard drive at a later date if you want. Just Google "upgrade PS3 super slim hard drive" for walkthroughs. Sony made the process pretty simple.

4) Connecting to internet is really only a matter of connecting to wi-fi router? There aren't any additional fees like for X360, right?
Correct. All you need is a WiFi hotspot and your PS3 should pick it up. Online services are free, except for subscription services such as Netflix and Hulu. You'll need to set it up through the network settings, but the manual can help you with that.

Perfect reply lacerz. Thank you both.
I've done some resarch meanwhile and I am still unsure if I should go for it. :p
Also upgrading HDD seem a bit risky, since all 2,5" HDDs doesn't have to fit in, right?

There shouldn't be any risk. It would need to be a 2.5" (laptop) HDD, but from what I've read it can accomodate a 9.5mm, even though the drive it comes with is 7.5mm. As of right now, the HDD can only be up to 1TB, of which Sony reserves around 11%, so you'll only get about 828GB or so. Probably not ideal for you given your usage, but if you find yourself in need...

Just so you know, I'm barely a techie and I was able to switch out the HDD in my old Fat Boy PS3 without any issues. Just read reviews on the HDDs people have used for their PS3s and you should find one that is reasonably priced and works well.

EDIT:
I did a little reading and you will need to purchase a mounting bracket for the 12GB since it doesn't come with a HDD. Sony offers these and you should be able to locate them online. I did a search for the ps3 Hard Disk Drive Mounting Bracket and found one retail listing for £9.98.

Last edited:
They had the 500 gb last week for 220. Check slickdeals each day and a deal will pop up.

Get ps plus..l.many free games for 40 a year.

I love my PS3 but wouldn't reccomend getting that 12 gb.

No yearly fee to play online, but PS+ is so worth it and if you get it, you're going to need a bigger hard drive.

Easy to connect too!

Back
Top Bottom