Wii for the elderly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aedwela

Solid State Member
I was thinking of buying my 54 year old father a Wii for Christmas - he is no long very able bodied (due to a disability) and used to love playing Golf (which he can no longer really do anymore) so I thought he would love the Tiger Woods game.

I was also thinking of buying Wii Fit as he no longer gets much exercise and can't really do much anyway. I was wondering how able bodied you need to be to use the Wii Fit - is it very difficult? He can stand up but has balance problems.

What have your experiences of Wii Fit been?

It will be challenging but they are using the Wii in convolescent homes for the very reasons you speak of concerning your father. And many of those people are in their 70s, 80s, and even some 90s. It gets them moving again, strengthening and improving coordination. And as they improve physically it has made good sugnificant and observable impact on their mental and emotional facilities. My suggestion is just buy the system and let him try out the package that comes with it. I also suggest that you get extra controllers and play with him. "Purist gamers" desparage the Wii but of all the consoles out there it allows the non-hardcore gamers tons of fun and interaction that they are looking for. That is why it has sold so well.

And, no, I am not a fanboy. I don't behold to any consoles because I am PC gamer. But I do visit a convelescent home at least once a week and Wii has been a great blessing for many.

Thanks a lot that's really helpful. I think I will buy it for him. If 80 year old's can do it I'm sure he can!

It would be fine for him. Make sure he has a cane to stabilize himself and he can dance away. Good exercise, as said above.

Be sure to watch him the first time he plays it. Make sure he doesn't fall over. ;)

I agree that it would be good exercise. My aunt is older and bought a Wii for exercise and its a fun way for her to exercise because she can't make herself exercise just for exercise.

Great idea! I think it's definitely doable if he has a means of stabilizing himself, if need be. Tiger Woods golf is a great way to get him back on the green!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom