Nintendo 3DS puts pressure on TV makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Nintendo 3DS puts pressure on TV makers

"Just as TV makers and film studios are working hard assuring movie watchers that wearing 3D glasses isn't that bad, Nintendo just applied some extra pressure.

Out of nowhere, the game hardware maker announced Monday that it is planning on selling an updated version of its popular handheld with a 3D screen that will not require any special eyewear. This is a big deal, and means there will likely be more where this came from in the next year in the form of other devices.

Still, we can connect some of the dots. It appears there will be two 4-inch 3D-capable displays, and they might be using something called parallax barrier technology, according to Jennifer Coleman, director of display technology at DisplaySearch. A parallax barrier display uses one liquid-crystal display layered under another. Each has tiny stripes that will hide certain pixels so that some are only visible to your left eye, while others will only be seen by your right eye. In that way, each eye gets its own image, producing the illusion of 3D without the need for glasses."

Seems pretty neat, wonder if this would produce the same effect as the glasses. Also wonder if TV makers would turn to this. :omg:

Intel did have a demo way back at CES 2010 (I think) of a glasses free 3DTV, although it was only from certain angles.

This is very, very promising.. I would LOVE to see something like this on my next mobile phone :tongue:

Intel did have a demo way back at CES 2010 (I think) of a glasses free 3DTV, although it was only from certain angles.

This is very, very promising.. I would LOVE to see something like this on my next mobile phone :tongue:
Haha yeah that would be pretty cool :p, about the Intel demo...wonder what happened to it? Saw it's breakthrough or it just died?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom