Microchips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link68759

Baseband Member
Ok, does anyone know of a way I could cut a microchip and have all of the circiutry replaced by wires? I want to take a gamecube controller and cut a piece off then reposition it elsewhere. (And could someone suggest a way to make a nice new case for the controller... I had to melt the **** plastic to get the triangular screws out).

thanks

does this needs to be moved to the hardware forum?

you can't cut an IC and have it work. if you want to move the chip itself it can be desoldered and moved to another location, perhaops joined by wires to the contact points it was originally soldered to. as for melting the plastic to get the screws out, that wasn't the greatest of ideas. you can purchase bits in a security driver set that will work with those screws.

I was able to unscrew my GC controller with a small flat-head driver, just stick it in the triangle until it's stuck in, then turn. For the cutting, if you mean cutting the BOARD, then theoretically yes, you could cut the board at a particular spot, and take all the cut contact strips, and solder connector wires on, but you're most likely going to fail and ruin the board. As for cutting a CHIP, you might as well smash it with a hammer, you aren't going to be able to repair that.

It really does depend on whether you want to cut the board or the chips on it. The board is possible, the chips, no.

To cut the board I wouldn't use scissors. I've tried it. You'd probably get a really rough cut and tear the circuits off of one side. A heavy duty desktop paper cutter would probably work best.

To make a new controller case? Duct tape wads covered with cloth or something. LOL! If you wanted to, you could probably make a wire frame then cover it with something. (Don't use tape! It gets sticky!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom