Xbox purchasing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
I am going to be buying an Xbox soon and i had a few questions I wanted to ask.
1. Do you have to purchase a warranty or does it come with one?
2. What is the HDD used and do I want a system that has an HDD?
3. Are there any problems with purchasing a used xbox 360..like for example from Gamestop, Amazon or ebay?

1) No, it comes with one. One year warranty + 3 year RRoD

2) If you get a Premium system, look for one that has a 60GB. There may still be older ones out there that only have 20GB drives. These are outdated and should not be sold at the same price as 60GB ones, but stores will try to fool you into buying old ones. Don't fall for it.

If you get an Arcade (doesn't come with HDD) you can get a 20GB from Microsoft for $20 or $30 as part of the NXE deal.

If you get an Elite, it comes with a 120GB

3) Yes! The older 360's have the major hardware flaw that causes the Red Ring of Death, be wary of used 360's as they may be older units that have been fixed or reconditioned. Brand new units are shipping with revised boards that greatly reduce this issue, and the boards that have been out for about a year are decent, but any boards older than that have a high risk of failure.

Oh, and if you want Xbox Live, your best plan is to try and get the Arcade, then buy the $100 package that comes with the 60GB hard drive, headset, ethernet cable, and 3 months of Xbox Live! It's like buying the Pro/Premium 60GB console, but getting extra Xbox Live for free :D

The only confirmed units that use jasper are arcade models that don't come with hard drives. The arcade ones that are out also aren't guaranteed to be Jaspers, and some are impossible to tell without actually opening the box.

Yeah I did the Arcade version + 30 dollar HD + Xbox Live package, and I'm very pleased. I just need the headset now, and I'm set. I'm very happy with it, and the order from Microsoft came fast, and it works! :)

YES! I would not buy a refurbished 360. Those are usually scams (if it is for like $50 or less) or just not worth the risk unless it comes with like a guaranteed 2 year protection plan for free. You are safest just buying the retail Arcade sku. Also, most of the time you can tell if it is a Jasper by looking at the small whole on the back of the retail box. Usually you can see the model details there or PSU details which if you have a Jasper will say 12A.

awesomeness..
I think i am going to buy the arcade edition and then buy the harddrive.
unless I can find a deal for a pro system.. i only have like 250$ to spend.

Does the xbox upconvert dvd's to 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom