Xbox One

Says who ?

No matter how powerful your hardware, it will always be a compromise between resolution, frame rate and graphical quality. They will still be making that compromise on games in 50 years time.

It really would not surprise me at all to see a whole load of 30fps, 720p games on next gen consoles.
Because an 8 core CPU and 7850 can play a lot of console ports at 60fps @ 1080p so one would assume a game developed for the hardware could do it too. You still tend to forget that developers can squeeze a lot more out of the hardware set of consoles than they can with PCs. As time goes on and graphics get that much more demanding I wouldn't doubt these consoles will do like the current ones but you can see in some areas where they compromised to get the results. For instance, the grass looks terrible and grass is usually a #1 issue for most games. Making the Skyrim grass look real pretty even tore up my SLI 580 setup.
Oh, and the fact that one of the selling points is 1080p gameplay.

I absolutely understand consoles and that you can get more out of them. Xbox 360 is capable of 1080p and 60fps. Nothing stopping them making games at 1080p. But marketing team prefer a game to look as good as possible so its easy to impress people and sell, and get good reviews.

I agree, more games will be 1080p. But certainly not all, just most, maybe.

They are capable of output, but not handling it. Know the difference. 360 lags on Halo 4 which outputs at 720p and the target is 30fps. I wouldn't expect any less from a GPU that was top of the line 7 years ago.
Play the same game on the newer hardware and it'll easily output at 1080p and 60fps. The difference between an x1800 series GPU and 7850 is retarded. Especially in terms of console performance.

No.. you don't get what I mean.

If I put the original Halo on 360 it would run at like 100fps @ 1080p. It would run PacMan at 1000FPS. And yes, Halo 4 would run at 1080p 60fps on new console all day long.

But that would mean they need to make games of a lower quality. They don't want to do that. They want high quality, low resolution. They still want that on a new console. There are some developers which appreciate resolution and framerate. Polyphony make Gran Turismo 5 run at 1080P 60FPS on 7 year old hardware no issue, because they think (correctly) that its important. But they could also choose to double graphical fidelity by halving resolution and halving target frame rate.

It's the same on PC. I can run BF3 at 120Fps 1080p all day long. But I can't and put it in 5760x1080 and get 60fps. It slows to a crawl. If I want that resolution, I would have to lower the quality right down - same point, just a different resolution.

Last edited:
The 1080p isn't a necessity but I do think we'll be seeing developers having their games at 1080p@60fps much more often now than in the previous generation. Hell, that's what Activision are doing with CoD.

I don't like motion controlling on a console like the Xbox. They should focus on making a true gaming system and not a Wii crossover that appeals to kids.

Depends. If I can lie on my sofa and vaguely wave my hand (not arm; just hand) through menus, that's something I'd be down with. The other stuff like integration with games... nah.

Depends. If I can lie on my sofa and vaguely wave my hand (not arm; just hand) through menus, that's something I'd be down with. The other stuff like integration with games... nah.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. It all just feels a bit gimmicky to me..

Back
Top Bottom