XBOX is misbehavin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

techNO-ty

Beta member
Some time ago, my XBox would not eject the DVD. I turned if off for a few days, went back and turned on the machine and the game booted fine, then ejected fine. Xbox worked okay for a few weeks. Then the slow decline. Over time, my Xbox actually working has worsened to where it will now only occasionally work. It is a newer version of xbox but out of warranty, especially now that I have taken it appart.

When it is not working, I get a blank,black screen and not a peep of audio (video source still in tact though because no blinking yellow I've tested this). No error messages, no dirty disk, nothing. Just a blank black screen. When it does occasionally work, I get the electrifying intro and the audio intro. Whoo hooo... oh the glee. Now the question of what the heck is going on.

It will never eject a DVD. The eject light just blinks and blinks and I hear the media spin back up. When I manually eject the disk, manually pull open the tray, pull the lid off off the drive, tinker with the position of the laser, power up the xbox, let the drive door automatically shut, the machine boots up to the intro only about 2% of the time. When this happens I get a little excited. About 50% of this 2% the eject button will actually give me the tray back where I can load the game. About 50% of this 50% of 2% of the time, the game boots and plays all day and night and day and night. I jump for joy at this point. Hee Haw... calling in sick to work and taking vacation days. I'm afraid to turn it off because, you see, the success rate thing starts over again and gets worse once I stop playing. Is this simply my DVD drive? When I power up the machine I usually get nothing.... blank black silent darkness. Unless of course the planets are in alignment and it decides to work the once every so often. Does the POST checking of this machine stop the bios from booting if something is erroring out with the DVD drive at start up? Does anyone know about this? The DVD Drive is a Samsung SDG-605. I have a new one on order even though I don't know if this will fix it.

Thanks

LOL, I laugh at your misfortune.

You know what I would do in your situation? I would buy a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!shift+1!!!!! They're cheap as shit now anyway.

Dude do u have a wallmart near u buy a new one then return the old one.Many stories of mods gone bad that got returned.Check the return policy because i may have changed.Also pay in cash.

Well... got a brand new drive at least.

Got the new Samsung DVD drive and still no luck. I changed out the IDE cable, put in a Seagate IDE drive I had layin'around here. To no avail. Switched out the component cable with the composite one that came with the box. Still no avail. Checked the TV too. Nothing. I have the whole machine apart and nothing looks or smells wrong. And I cannot figure out this once in a great while it works thing either.

Oh well, thanks for the tips and suggestions and comiseration. I don't have it in me to do the Wal-Mart trick. What sucks is I just renewed my Blockbuster game pass last week when this thing worked one day. Now I sittin around here with San Andreas and can't even get my freakin box to work. Think I'll look for a used one at a game store. Should be cheap since Xbox 360 is coming out.

Does anyone know how to flash or reset the bios? I'm not a MOD guy so I don't really want to break out the soldering kit.

Ahhh a new development. Tonight I was cleaning up the area around where I have been fiddling with the problem xbox and bumped the front of the console rather hard with my knuckle and the thing fired up to the splash intro screen. And get this... no hard drive or DVD drive was connected to it. So that proves you don't have to have a DVD drive or hard drive connected to at least get the machine to come alive. Why it came alive I do not know. I quickly installed the drive units and realized the bios did not see them when it booted. I powered down and back up and back to same old black screen. Disconnected everything again and tried to boot up. No avail. Talk about a ghost in the machine. Anyone have a clue?

sounds like the bios to me. i once had a xbox that i was repairing for somone that wouldn't boot to anything, no audio, no video...so i installed a chip and it works like a charm now. if u want a cheap chip check out the smartxx Lt Opx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom