Xbox LIVE Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulquiorra Schiffer

In Runtime
Well, if you don't already know, there is a way to become host in games such as Call of Duty: World at War. LIVE picks the host, and I used to be the host all the time. Now I'm barely ever host.

I have a Belkin, the most basic out of the Belkin series, and there are three computers using the internet and the Xbox 360. If anyone can help me, please post. Thanks in advance.

uh... why do you need to be host?

anyways, if nothing in your home changed then whatever DID change is likely beyond your control (as in your provider probably opened up a new trunk which killed your latency)

If Live picks the host there is no way to make it so you are the host. Live chooses the person with the best connection. So you are joining games in which you are not the best host so you wont be choosen as the host.

Source, 2nd post

^^Chad711 hit it.

And Comcast in most areas is no longer fast enough to maintain your "always host" status. I upgraded from Comcast at 16mbps download speed and 3mbps upload speed to Verizon FiOS at 20mbps download and 5mbps upload, and I STILL am only rarely host. Live usually checks for the faster upload speeds as that is what helps everyone connect to you (as Host) with the best possible connection. Comcast usually has very low upload speeds (my area was a big city which is usually the exception).

So, if you really want to be host all the time, upgrade your internet (both download and upload).

I'm sorry, but I obviously didn't explain this to you guys enough.

There is no unfair advantage of being a host, because I play Call of Duty mostly, and I've never played GoW (nor do I plan on it).

Now, I used to be host all the time, but something has caused my internet to become slower. It's not just Xbox 360 LIVE, even my father has noticed some delay when he goes on eBay.

That could be due to Spyware, could be your ISP. Go to speedtest.net and test it out. If it comes back slow then go thru Osiris's guide.

That could be due to Spyware, could be your ISP. Go to speedtest.net and test it out. If it comes back slow then go thru Osiris's guide.

Okay, I'll try it out. Can you please give me the link to his thread?

By the way, is it possible to have two routers connected to one Comcast modem? One for Xbox LIVE and the other for computers? Will it help my connection at all?

lol... I remember bein at bestbuy looking at a wireless and some guy was there wanting to by a Wireless G router because he believed that it would speed up his internet. I said "Your internet is probably capable of only 10 mb/s tops, that thing is capable of 54 on the wireless and 100 on the wired, your router is NOT the bottleneck". but he wouldn't believe me, even though I'm a professional! (lol)

anyways, if you are so concerned, call Comcast and ask them if they've done any work/expansions in your area lately. I'm telling you, if YOU didn't change anything THEY DID, which means you won't be able to fix it.

And yes, you would HAVE to plug one router into the modem and then the second router into that. Most modems allow only 1 IP address on the inside, which is just their way of keeping control. FORTUNATELY, they haven't added packet sniffing to modems yet, so you can plug a Layer 3 device into the modem to collate all your devices into on IP addy.

At my house, we have an old Belkin wireless (but the wifi doesn't work) but it has only 2 good ports, one up, one down. So we then plugged a 5 port switch to distribute to things like 360's and computers and my Airport, so that we have a modern wifi net as well.

In total we have:
2) PC's
1) Airport
1) Mac (on the airport)
1) iPod touch (on the airport)
1) Dell Lattitude (on the airport
1) 360

If the cable company had a way of proving that, they would charge us out the wazoo.

Hurray for Layer 3 devices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom