xbox live blocking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo09

Baseband Member
hi guys i was wondering if you could help.

i currently own a netgear wgt624v3 cable router and have read up on how to block ports so my house m8 cant play gears of war 2 online till 3am in the morning.

I thought i had it sorted but he just set the ip on his 360 to a .6 ip address, the problem is i dont understand how when the router is set as a dhcp server with an address range of .2 to .5.

Is there anything more i can do or is my netgear router just rubbish lol...

thanks in advance...

The WGT624v3 is a terrible router (I have one) but you could probably do MAC address filtering if you really wanted to stop it. You have to register the MAC of every device attached that you want, nothing else will work then.

ok i am going to get a new router in the next month or so, sorry to sound stupid but where bout is mac address filtering on the routers page?

i cannot see it?

thanks again

ah do u mean via the wireless access list?

he is hardwired to the router via one of them plug socket adaptors...

Yea, afaik, it only works on the wireless, but if you can find a home router with QoS you can limit his speed to a point where he can't play online, or **** just unplug the ethernet cable...

ok can u guys recommend a decent cable modem router then??

thanks again 4 ur help

Get a Linksys. The most popular one is the WRT54GL (the WRT54G is cheaper, but the GL is better). The reason everyone likes these is that they support DD-WRT, a customized firmware that adds a ton of features that most routers would never have. You can definitely block Xbox Live using a DD-WRT router.

If you want Wireless N (it's the new faster WiFi, you'll need a card that supports it though), I got a WRT160N last year and it's also a pretty good router. Similar to the 54G, it can run DD-WRT with all the extra features but it's faster as well.

ok cheers calc i have just seen a WRT54GL for £48 on amazon so am gonna pick that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom