xbox 360 memory stick problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

clrockny24

Beta member
I bought a 16gb lexar memory stick, to add more memory to my new 4gb console. The console was the holiday kinect bundle that came with fruit ninja and the gunstringer. Fruit ninja was not very big, so it could fit on the hard drive just fine. The problem i am having is that I downloaded the gunstringer to the thumg drive (as it was too big to fit in the hard drive,) last night after configuring the thumb drive. I put some other settings on the drive, but this morning, everything is gone. I though I could re-configure the thumb drive, but it just starts empty.

anyone know what I can do? It's like I can download the game fine, but the second I turn the console off, everything goes away.

Hi,
Did you manage to solve this issue?

I have same issue for days. Have one new Verbatim 16GB memory key, with many demos and game saves... but after each day it just results empty and I need to download all from the scratch.

Please, someone help!!!

Thank you so much!

Direct from XBOX.comhttp://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/153178.aspx:

My USB device un-configured itself!

If your USB device suddenly has no data in it, or it has reverted to its pre-configured state, it may not meet all the requirements for using it with the Xbox 360 console. Did you get a warning message during configuration? The best thing you could do is to find a USB device that better meets the requirements for use with the console.

If you want to give your USB device another try, format it to FAT32 again on the PC and then try the configuration process over again. It would be recommended to make sure your files are saved on the console as well in case there is another issue.

Looks like both of your devices does not meet the standards for use with the XBOX 360 Console.

Thank you for answering!

This is quite strange if my memory key does not meet the requirements. It's a branded Verbatim thumb drive, and during the configuration process it works perfectly. Xbox is not reporting any error... and it works also perfectly for one day. Just the next day, it results un-configured.
I cannot continue buying thumb drives (mine was not cheap ether) trying to find one that will work. That's insane.
There must be some reason for this.

Thanks again!

Yea, see, neither of those pages gives actual requirements of how fast the drive should be and other details, in the end it's just another way for them to get you to pay rediculous prices for storage by saying, here, we wont give you the required read/write speeds that the device needs, but you can pay twice as much for one of our drives that are probably lower quality anyways! -.-

Thanks, that explains it all!

Microsoft is pushing their own hardware accessories... A price of 50$ for 16gb sandisk usb key sounds like a robbery... they are surely trying to be like Apple.

At the end, I'll definitely need to buy their hard drive, since I need it for kids. They love the kinect stuff...

Thank you all for responding to this post!

Yea, see, neither of those pages gives actual requirements of how fast the drive should be and other details, in the end it's just another way for them to get you to pay rediculous prices for storage by saying, here, we wont give you the required read/write speeds that the device needs, but you can pay twice as much for one of our drives that are probably lower quality anyways! -.-

Probably cause there isnt a specific requirement for those things. There was never a set of requirements for using your USB Thumb Drives as RAM. (ReadyBoost) The fact is that there are ones out there that are not Microsoft Branded that can and will hold the required data shows that there isnt a specific set of specs that need to be followed. Plus the fact is if you want into any Retail Store, the chance you will actually find such information written on the package is slim to none. Finding someone in the store who owns that specific device and can give that specific information is going to be even slimmer. I work for Walmart but dont own a single USB Thumb Drive from there. No way I could answer such a question. No way I could get the answer either as it isnt on any package nor on our website.

Thanks, that explains it all!

Microsoft is pushing their own hardware accessories... A price of 50$ for 16gb sandisk usb key sounds like a robbery... they are surely trying to be like Apple.

At the end, I'll definitely need to buy their hard drive, since I need it for kids. They love the kinect stuff...

Thank you all for responding to this post!

No they are not trying to be like Apple. The fact is you are paying for the brand name. Do you really think it costs $55 for a Playstation 3 Wireless remote? How about $35 for a Playstation 3 HDMI Cable? You are paying for the branding. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all do it. So to sit back and blame just Microsoft for it is silly. I see the same things come out of Nintendo and Sony that I do from Microsoft.

The fact is your salesperson should have warned you of the limitations of the 4GB System, or you should have done research before buying to see what the pros and cons of buying such a small amount of storage really is. I mean you dont see any Playstation that comes with less than 160GB now. There is a reason for that. The XBOX 4GB System is simply to just play games, not store anything. The amount of money you saved buying the bundle is negated by the fact you now have to spend $150 on the HDD. Should have spent the extra $100 and gotten the 250GB Kinect Bundle.

I make sure people know up front how little they can do with the 4GB system for this very reason. You would be amazed how many people thank me for informing them cause they had no clue. Yet they could have spent 5 minutes researching it to find out before they bought. They couldnt put their phone down while talking to me about the purchase but couldnt be bothered to find out about what they were purchasing.

Probably cause there isnt a specific requirement for those things. There was never a set of requirements for using your USB Thumb Drives as RAM. (ReadyBoost) The fact is that there are ones out there that are not Microsoft Branded that can and will hold the required data shows that there isnt a specific set of specs that need to be followed. Plus the fact is if you want into any Retail Store, the chance you will actually find such information written on the package is slim to none. Finding someone in the store who owns that specific device and can give that specific information is going to be even slimmer. I work for Walmart but dont own a single USB Thumb Drive from there. No way I could answer such a question. No way I could get the answer either as it isnt on any package nor on our website.

You're right, it usually won't be on the package in the store, but if you really wanted to know you could just Google the flash drive, and find benchmark tests run by people, just like with video cards, CPU's, etc. Will most consumers do this? No, they won't. But if it was listed in the requirements (or even suggested somewhere that it should be X amount of Read and Y amount of Write speeds), then people would be more inclined to look this information up. However, this would also be "bad for business" for them and not encourage people to buy their own branded product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom