xbox 360 > laptop via pc vga?

MrKeogh2552

Beta member
Ok so i know you CAN connect the xbox 360 to a laptop that has a hdmi in port (mine has this) however now that my xbox's hdmi slot seems to be temperamental im using the pc vga cable i got, on a tv. Is there anyway i can get my laptop's pc 15pin cable slot to register my xbox or is the slot video out only?

So you're saying the HDMI on laptops is an input and an output? And you're wondering if VGA is an input and an output?

Ok so i know you CAN connect the xbox 360 to a laptop that has a hdmi in port (mine has this) however now that my xbox's hdmi slot seems to be temperamental im using the pc vga cable i got, on a tv. Is there anyway i can get my laptop's pc 15pin cable slot to register my xbox or is the slot video out only?

The VGA (15 pin) is output only.

So you're saying the HDMI on laptops is an input and an output? And you're wondering if VGA is an input and an output?

Some laptops have both an HDMI input and output (2 connectors). A friend's Alienware has this.

Thats brilliant. Never seen that before.

Yeah, unfortunately not very common. Would love if my laptop had HDMI in. That way when I game at friend's houses on with my PS3...I could just load everything up in a backpack and play on my 17" laptop screen. Unfortunately I have to carry a 21" monitor along with my backpack when I do that.

carnageX highlights some of the functions of the outputs. I'll go into a bit more depth.

HDMI sends signals out as well, but can transfer signals in too. Many receivers utilize this function from multiple devices such as speakers, DVD players and gaming systems. Do you want to have all your cables tangled into one clean cable? HDMI does this for you!

Now, streaming to your XBOX 360 through your laptop requires an external capture card or a tuner. The capture card takes the signal from the HDMI into your laptop to a program displaying the information. Many streamers use this as a means to capture their on computers.

Now, streaming to your XBOX 360 through your laptop requires an external capture card or a tuner. The capture card takes the signal from the HDMI into your laptop to a program displaying the information. Many streamers use this as a means to capture their on computers.

Only if the laptop doesn't already have this built-in.

An external capture card/device would have to go through USB and not through HDMI on a traditional laptop, because the laptop would only recognize the HDMI as output.

I've looked into it quite a bit, because I wanted to see if there was indeed a way to make an HDMI output work as an input as well...and no such thing exists that I could find. You have to use a capture device and then run that through USB/firewire/etc.

Back
Top Bottom