Xbox 360 to go Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft's Steve Ballmer has promised that an external Blu-ray drive is coming to the Xbox 360.
During a recent interview on the future of Project Natal, the motion-control system for Xbox. Ballmer was asked if Microsoft plans to put Blu-ray into the games console.
Although he told website Gizmodo that he doesn't know if Blu-ray needs to be integrated into the console, Ballmer added that “you'll be able to get Blu-ray drives as accessories”.
Since the downfall of the HD DVD format, for which Microsoft famously produced a now defunct external Xbox 360 drive, the firm has been very cagey about the potential addition of Blu-ray to its console.
In fact, Aaron Greenberg, Microsoft's Group Product Manager for the Xbox 360, stated back in October 2008 that Microsoft had “no plans to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience”.
Perhaps Greenberg actually meant that Xbox 360s with integrated Blu-ray drives will never be produced and that external Blu-ray drives will arrive for the console? Who knows - it's certainly been rumoured often enough that one is on the way.
One thing we can be certain of, though, is that – according to the horse's mouth – Blu-ray is coming to the Xbox 360

Xbox 360 to go Blu, says Ballmer ? Register Hardware

This coming from the same guy who touted a new Xbox 360 that was on the way only to have MS deny all of his statements :tongue:

Considering that he is the head of M$ now, i wouldnt doubt that his statements are true.

There is no denying BR anymore for M$. It would be wise for them to go with a External BR player to help it compete more with the PS3. Give people a reason to get the XBOX 360 over the PS3. As right now that is a big draw for that system. Not only for the games, but to have a BR player as well.

I don't game every single day though. I would rather buy another video game every year then pay $50. Keep paying $50 a year and you could buy your xbox 360 over again. No thanks.

Yeah, I would get one when they got real cheap if it wasn't for that.

I don't game every single day though. I would rather buy another video game every year then pay $50. Keep paying $50 a year and you could buy your xbox 360 over again. No thanks.

eh if you're gonna use that mentality then don't buy soda or coffee, just drink water because you don't NEED the extras and you could buy more stuff if you didn't spend it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom