Who's modded an xBox?

Which Mozilla Browser is Better? Mozilla 1.6 or Mozilla Firefox 0.8?

• Mozilla 1.6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firefox 0.8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nahh, I don't want to contirbute to what was the partial downfall of the Dreamcast. People copied the games like crazy and no one bought any.

You can do the same with mods. Simply rent the game and copy it to your hard drive.

I think the industry's game prices are high enough as it is.

Though I do agree it can be neat to install all the Super Nintendo games for free and all, but I don't know. If you want that they do have emulators for old games.

Not to mention I don't want to have my xbox fried cause micorsoft some how detects that I have one.

Lets just say I have very mixed feelings about it.

Brisky said:
Nahh, I don't want to contirbute to what was the partial downfall of the Dreamcast. People copied the games like crazy and no one bought any.

You can do the same with mods. Simply rent the game and copy it to your hard drive.

I think the industry's game prices are high enough as it is.

Though I do agree it can be neat to install all the Super Nintendo games for free and all, but I don't know. If you want that they do have emulators for old games.

Not to mention I don't want to have my xbox fried cause micorsoft some how detects that I have one.

Lets just say I have very mixed feelings about it.

How do you copy a game to your hard drive?

thanks,
Michael

Any1 wants any help with their Mod chips, or how toos, ill help, or point u int he right direction :D

Courtesy of the AP

MICROSOFT KICKS XBOX TINKERERS OFF ONLINE SYSTEM
Published: Monday, November 22, 2004
BUSINESS - CONNECT 04E
By Allison Linn
Associated Press

QUICK CLICK

www.xbox.com

SEATTLE -- In the days before the release of the hotly anticipated Halo 2 video game for the Xbox game console, some gamers noticed a sudden spike in the number of people being kicked off Microsoft Corp.'s online game service.

That was no coincidence.

The company said it increased its crackdown on those suspected of making unauthorized modifications to their Xboxes to ensure all players can blast away on an equal footing when joining the Xbox Live online gaming community.

People usually modify Xboxes so they can either cheat on games or use pirated copies, although some also have made changes so they can use the Xbox for other functions, such as a music player.

Cameron Ferroni, general manager of the Xbox software platform, said Microsoft has no interest in taking legal action against individual users. But the company does want to banish cheaters from its online service.

"We want to preserve the experience of Xbox Live,'' he said.

It's hard to know how many of Microsoft's 15.5 million Xbox users have actually modified their game consoles, although analysts and those at Microsoft say it's a small percentage.

Microsoft has a unique glimpse into the 1 million Xbox Live users' computers because those users agree Microsoft has the right to gather certain information.

Ferroni declined to go into specifics of how the company can check Xbox Live users' machines for suspected modifications but said Microsoft has no way of checking to see whether players who don't use Xbox Live have modified their machines.

Neil Smith, an intellectual-property lawyer in San Francisco, said there's little legal risk in modifying a game system for relatively benign personal use, such as to give your character infinite lives or to more easily advance to another level.

But Microsoft said it wants to guard against such cheating on Xbox Live, where multiple players can take part in games together. Ferroni said the goal is to make sure there's a level playing field.

Smith, who has represented several video-game companies, said users face more legal risk -- and companies have more leverage -- if a person is modifying the system to play pirated or other unauthorized games. That's especially true if the person is altering his or her system's security codes or settings.

Companies are much more eager to go after potential pirates, because stolen copies can lead to lost sales. Microsoft said it has focused its legal efforts on those it thinks are manufacturing pirated games or mass-producing Xbox modifications.

Smith said the legality of modifying other people's technology remains hazy.

Other tech firms have grappled with how much can be done to their systems without their consent.

This year, Seattle-based RealNetworks caused a stir when it said it had developed software that allows songs purchased from its online music store to transfer to Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod, by skirting internal copy protections. Apple responded by saying that RealNetworks "has adopted the tactics and ethics of a hacker.''

Other video-game consoles don't seem to face as much tinkering as the Xbox, said PJ McNealy, an analyst with American Technology Research. Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2 doesn't have complex antipiracy measures, he said, and Nintendo Co.'s cartridge-based games are much more difficult to pirate than the CDs that Microsoft and Sony use.

you probably shouldn't go to microsoft's site as they will try to lock your Xbox up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom