Voice Communication problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So... is it just the wired headset, or like... ALL of the attempted headset communication that sucks?

Any tips on making it work... better/clearer?

Whenever I use my wired Headset, the sound is muffled, I can barely hear anything, and apparently the same is true about sending sound, since I am barely heard.

Is this just the cruddy quality of Wired Headsets that Microsoft Uses? Is there a way to use a non-xbox360 mic/headset with your 360? do the Wireless Headsets have better sound?

It's probably the sound controller that Microsoft used in the controller. The sound card that does the voice output and recording is inside the controller so they probably used cheap chips. The quality is good enough to talk but it isn't great. If you're using a third-party controller (such as a Mad Catz or Gamestop branded one), the sound is very likely to sound terrible as third-party controllers use even worse chips. My Gamestop-branded MadCatz game pad has downright terrible sound quality, it makes noise even while I'm not talking or switched the mic off and the playback isn't much better, it is full of noise and distortion. It also may be that the people you're playing with have third-party controllers.

its a microsoft controller....

but i think my headset is generation one, it doesn't have the gray plug to go into the controller, it has a mute button and volume control that clips on to your shirt/bra

Those are the new headsets. The original headsets had a gray plug with mute and volume control on the plug itself, plugged into the connector on the controller. I have one that my friend gave me when I first got my old 360. My new 360 came with the new style. Because the Chat Pad (keyboard thing that goes on the controller) uses the oversize plug on the controller, they designed a new headset that plugs into only the round plug. They originally only shipped with the messenger kit but eventually started shipping with consoles. They had to move the controls on to a switch on the cord because there was nowhere else to put the plug.

Either way, the headset itself is absolutely identical, the only thing they changed was the cord and plug. You could try another headset on your controller if you know someone who has one. Also try using yours on another controller. Make sure you have good batteries in your controller too, try recharging them, the sound can get messed up on low battery power. I also had it happen one time where I couldn't get any sound at all out of my controller even though I had the headset plugged in and everything, had to reboot the console to get it working again (had 3 people with headsets and I was the only one that couldn't hear/talk).

If it isn't the controller or the headset, find out who is on the other end (if you don't know them already) and see what kind of controller or headset they're using.

well I tried 2 headsets and a Brand New controller (Like.. it came IN package with batteries and all) and one of the Headsets appeared new as well- still in it's packaging... and both have cruddy communications.

*sigh* I wonder if it's my DSL.

Could be your Internet I guess, if it's really slow, I doubt it would be your console itself as the voice is all digital through it. If your connection really lags it could cut back on the voice bitrate I guess.

don't really lag.. on games or anything... its DSL standard which gives me like... 250KB downloads and 60ish Uploads...so it's not "Horrible"

The headsets aren't perfect, but I can hear people just fine. It isn't going to be ultra high quality. What kind of problems are you having? Is it static or computer noise or is it too soft or muffled? The unofficial controllers often make a lot of "computer noise" like high pitched sound and muffle the voice, but the official controllers don't seem to do that.

Try recording a voice message (just pick someone on your friends list and do Send Message, then record voice, record yourself talking and play it back), that should test the hardware itself without your connection being an issue.

Go in and set your voice volume up higher in the user settings on the xbox profile page, to the highest if needed. Other then that I have a wired and wireless one, so does my brother and other friends. No complaints here or from them. There is one dude that I can barely hear but I think he just speaks soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom