Typical M$...put it out before it fixed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did everything they could do to beat the PS3 to the market and sell it for as cheap as possible. Looks like the strategy that everyone is damning them over worked very well. If people continue to buy their hardware and software, they have no room to complain about their practices. Most of these issues have been known for two years.

Sorry but the article states that this happens when the console is moved from horizontal to vertical position when being used, honestly that is user error, not microsofts, that and ANY cd/dvd/bluray drive can cause that to happen...

My roommate did that to my Rock Band 2 disc when he pulled the Xbox off the shelf to plug in the ethernet cable.

I made him rent it at movie gallery and exchanged the disc....oddly, the movie gallery disc looked brand spankin new.

A) Portable cd players work slightly differently in how they hold the CD, it is usualy clipped into place and the motor assembly is given less room to move, where as a front load drive uses a platform that lifts up to a cd and relys on magnets to hold a hub down, securing the cd, if the assembly moves to much the hub can let go enough to allow a cd to wobble.

B) wha?

But yes, stronger magnets in the hub or better rubber boots, stiffer ones would help a bit, but there are 3 different drives, all different that are used in the 360, so it isn't Microsoft in the end. And it is still user error, I know in some of my documentation somewhere it states to NOT move the unit while turned on to prevent any damage of the hard drive, dvd drive, or media in the unit...

This isn't a new fix, this only applies to old systems with the first-gen drives (Toshiba-Samsung if I'm not mistaken). Mine has one of these drives and, while I had it apart fixing it, put some scratches in my Guitar Hero 3 disc when I accidentally lifted the drive up (had it sitting kinda diagonally off the side of the console, which was torn apart.

Luckily my GH3 disc still works for the most part. Sometimes it isn't recognized but once it is it plays fine, and I backed it up to HDD so I don't lose the game if it gets more scratches. I got the game from my friend anyways and he had already put some scratches in it, so no big deal. I know not to move it while I have games in it (I always turn the thing all the way off before moving it!) and it's worked out fine thus far.

I guess if I really wanted to, having already rendered my console's warranty void (well...it was given to me for free, and the warranty doesn't transfer), I could take it apart and splice in some rubber pads, I could salvage some from a dead PC drive or something, apparently they only cost 50 cents.

This isn't a new fix, this only applies to old systems with the first-gen drives (Toshiba-Samsung if I'm not mistaken). Mine has one of these drives and, while I had it apart fixing it, put some scratches in my Guitar Hero 3 disc when I accidentally lifted the drive up (had it sitting kinda diagonally off the side of the console, which was torn apart.

Luckily my GH3 disc still works for the most part. Sometimes it isn't recognized but once it is it plays fine, and I backed it up to HDD so I don't lose the game if it gets more scratches. I got the game from my friend anyways and he had already put some scratches in it, so no big deal. I know not to move it while I have games in it (I always turn the thing all the way off before moving it!) and it's worked out fine thus far.

I guess if I really wanted to, having already rendered my console's warranty void (well...it was given to me for free, and the warranty doesn't transfer), I could take it apart and splice in some rubber pads, I could salvage some from a dead PC drive or something, apparently they only cost 50 cents.

ahh well that applys to me than i have an an old 360 with the first-gen drives

Yea, but here's the thing. Why would M$ spend $0.50 more (for the rubber boots) on each console when they are already loosing money on them.

Their mentality is always to muscle into a market then release ****** products and just deal with the complaints with a shrug of the shoulders. I hate Apple even worse, but you have to give them credit for calling M$ on all their BS with their advertising campaigns...they are really the first and only people to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom