State of Decay (Class 3) by Undead Labs

I need to check this out. How much is it? 1200 points?

It's 1600 ($20). I say it is worth it. There are a few things being patched up such as infestations causing the "Too Many Hordes" event to continuously pop up and cause havoc for trying to let your community members go out on their own and scavenge (too many go missing or come back injured).

But seriously play the demo first and form your own opinions. I have been following the game for the last 1.5 to 2 yrs and may be a lil biased. Plus I am a sucker for indie/start up studios ^_^

Here is a report from Undead Labs that they manage to break the record for fastest selling XBLA title so far excluding Minecraft... It holds the all-time record but was already established in popularity before the XBLA release.

Here is the link:

Undead Labs » Breaking Records

It sold quarter million in 2 days. There was no ad or marketing budget or campaign.

EDIT:
To anyone interested though, Highly suggest waiting till next week to pick it up due to a problematic infestation loop. While I was fortunate not to occur to me, it is one where it can impede your progress GREATLY!. Patch is in certification for release already...just gotta wait.

Infestation Event:
(Explanation of the possible infinite event loop bug. This will contain info on making the game easier to manage regardless of the bug or not. DO NOT read if you want to go into it blindly)

Infestations create/spawn hordes of zombies and make the streets more dangerous. Infestations tend to spread over time and can cause problems when they are close to your safe house.

As of now, whenever there is 3 or more infestations present in the world map (as in ANYWHERE in the map), the Infestation event occurs. This will send waves of zombie hordes directly to your safe house for defense missions.

Because of the constant waves of hordes and the dangerous levels being high in the streets... when your community members go scavenging on their own, chances of them getting into a jam or simply 'going missing' increase by 300%. This impedes progress because you will have to go save them into an infinite spawning emergency quests along with the spawning zombie horde defense quests.

The only way to get the infestation event quests (the hordes) to stop attacking your house is to go and take/clear them out. Unfortunately, since they can sometimes be across the map... chances of you catching a slight break long enough in between a defense mission, rescue mission to drive 3 KM is IMPOSSIBLE.

These events were only supposed to occur when there is 3 or more infestation houses within 500M of your safe house only, not across map (the map being 4KM Squared). It is being patched but to avoid possible frustration, suggest waiting till next week to pick this up if interested.

^_^

Last edited:
Sorry, I was too busy playing State Of Decay to comment.

I've been following it for 2 1/2 years. I remember the early ideas and I've followed this pretty closely through the development cycle. It's a little frustrating that the level of base selection/customization didn't quite match what was planned (I'll never forget the elevated monorail car base idea or the drydocked boat base), but it's still pretty damn great.

Yes, there can be graphics issues. Yes, textures occasionally take a bit to load.

However, this is still an amazing zombie game. To me, it's better than Dead Island. There's no real crafting to speak of, but with only a very few exceptions, if you see a building, you can enter it and search it. It's sensible in that most of the weapons you'll find are relatively common 9mm and .45 caliber sidearms. You'll find an SMG or assault rifle every so often, but it's not frequent.

Likewise, weapon decay seems better than it did in Dead Island. I got tired of grabbing a weapon, hitting two zombies with it and having it break. That happens a LOT less in State Of Decay.

There are bugs getting fixed - right now, cars left overnight at a facility with a workshop will be repaired, but that actually means overnight in real time, not on the day/night game cycle. Still, it's a 1600 point download, the game world is huge and it's a lot of fun. It is totally worth the time and points.

Give us an overview of what you do in more detail. Is it a living world with other players? What's the replay value.

Thanks.

Give us an overview of what you do in more detail. Is it a living world with other players? What's the replay value.

Thanks.

Single player. It is a single player game, their next title (Working title: Class 4) is going to be an console MMO. Co-op was unfortunately cut from the current title but may be added late in the games life span. As MMO's are normally persistent worlds, State of Decay is also a persistent world that continues to exist even when you turn it off... more on that later.

The game is a simulation. You create a community of survivors whom each have their own personalities and abilities or professions before the zombie apocalypse. Some can be Doctors, pharmacists, engineers or workshop experts or cooks and so on. These abilities can add on as bonuses to certain stations you build in your base (kitchen, workshop, watch tower, Infirmary...)

It is important to know that you do NOT play as just a single character but as the community. You can switch out between survivors for different play styles depending on their abilities (and skills/stats) or to give your other character a rest/break or time to recover/get over a sickness.

There is perma death. If someone dies, they are gone. So it is important to play safe yet smart to build and scavenge the supplies that you need or are vital.

Also, there is a bit of a human element. Some characters can be out right D**ks and can cause tension.

Example:
Currently in my game, someone with gun experience can sometimes be a d**k to this other survivor who is a total push over. While those two have been having arguments the last couple weeks (in-game time), I have a consular in my group whom seemed to keep them at peace. Until recently the push over became scared due to a recent experience and lost hope and I made the mistake of taking my counselor out for a little scavenging due to my other 3 guys being hurt or extremely tired.

Their latest argument was a BAD one and now that push over has lost all hope and has become suicidal.

There can be other examples like people who are great leaders but have a history of extreme alcohol abuse (I SUSPECT two of my group members are DRINKING my freaking Molotov's) or even pill/drug addicts who steal extra medication for their own personal use.

Now as for what you do exactly: Scavenge and survive the zombie apocalypse simulation. Search for houses, scavenge for food, medical supplies and ammunition. Create a healthy community and raise morale for better survival odds. Search for help (done through missions) or help your fellow neighbors (other communities trying to survive).

Replay Value:
I honestly don't know how much replay value it has, but I would say mild. I may let puckett fill this one. But while they went for a sandbox style game, I don't believe it is a true sandbox.

With that said, there appears to be an ending once you have completed the missions. Doing the last one ends the game and you can always exit and hit continue to come back before completing that last mission... but ehh~

Persistent world:
The world exists even when you aren't there playing it. This is in fact a simulation and time is a huge factor. Your survivors will continue to live and exist in this world and scavenge for supplies. Just as in the real world (if there was a zombie apocalypse), going out scavenging can lead to a very bad situation (hordes, injuries, death).

The world tends to slow down the longer you have been absent from the game though. So if your gone for a full day, you'll notice supplies may have gone down a little (survivors go out and scavenge for themselves too) along with other things depending on how the game was going before you last played.
(bad situation leads to worse, great situation stays around the 'doing fine' area)

As for how fast or slow does time go by while not playing? A week is when the slow down is noticeable and a month is where time in-game seems to stop.

The day and night cycle is 1 hr real-time, so 1 hour for daylight and 1 hour for night.

Last edited:
Pretty much what XGC said. I haven't had problems with anything going missing, but some characters are tools (I'm thinking of Alan here) and need to get put in check.

More simply, the game is a combination of static missions (i.e. missions you have to do to advance the plot, or missions that exist in all games), dynamic missions (i.e. you need to build trust among other survivor enclaves, trade with enclaves, rescue members of your own enclave, find missing survivors, etc.) and free-roaming (i.e. going scavenging).

Total playtime is around 20-30 hours, replay is limited unless you love the game because you know what happens with the static missions and how the game ends. At that point, you keep playing because you're OCD about scavenging EVERYTHING.

There are flaws - there's limited backpack carrying space feels overly limited. Once you get a large pack, you have 12 slots for items (items like molotovs, aspirin, etc. can have a stack of items in one slot) but it doesn't make a lot of sense to be able to carry 4 M-16s in a backpack along with an AK-47, a big wrench, a couple of other melee weapons, etc. Likewise, it doesn't make sense that you can only carry 4 bottles of aspirin in a stack, that enough ammo to fill a clip for an AK-47 counts as a slot, etc. Seriously. You can carry 12 assault rifles, or you can carry enough ammo to fill 12 clips. That doesn't make much sense, even with stacking.

You can't toss rucksacks (bundles of supplies) into cars or trucks and grab another one (which means you either leave it, call a scavenger to come pick it up and possibly endanger them or come back and get it later). Sure, this is probably to avoid making the game too easy, but it's annoying to find a house with three separate stockpiles and have to make multiple trips.

Still, it's pretty great. It does feel like a reduced subset of the ideas that the dev team had been kicking around, but it's a sufficiently polished execution of the ideas that they kept as part of what used to be called Class3. All in all, I don't regret the points I spent. TOTALLY worth it.

Back
Top Bottom