Resolution setting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
Hey all,

I've got my 360 hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung 720p tv. The native res of the tv is 1360x768. After the recent NXE update my 360 has set my display to the "optimal" setting of 1360x768...which looks good.

However, I'm still not sure if that's the best option for me. Which should I be using? 720p or 1360x768?

Thanks everyone. :)

1360x768 should be the best looking since your TV is at its native resolution. It's really a personal preference though. You should decide what looks best to you.

720p will look better because its true HD whereas the other isnt. 720p is also progressive scan so it will display better

720p means a vertical resolution of 720.

1360x768 has a vertical resolution of 768, which is obviously higher (and thus higher definition) than 720. 768 also being the native resolution will mean less stretching, so less distortion for the best picture.

The 360 internally stretches/scales pretty much every game already, games have a "set resolution" that they render at, and the 360's integrated scaler (pretty sure it's a hardware scaler, it's built into the GPU) scales the fixed resolution output from the rendering process to whatever resolution your TV/monitor is set to, then feeds it over to the ANA/HANA chip (depending on if your console has HDMI or not, these are the analog conversion chips, the HANA having HDMI capabilities) where it is converted into the correct analog (digital if HDMI) signal for your particular TV or monitor.

If you have it set to 720p, that means that the game will render at its fixed resolution, output that to the scaler, which will resize it to 720p and output it to the TV, which will scale it AGAIN to fit the native resolution (1360x768). However, if you set the 360 at 1360x768, the game will only have to be scaled once, when the game is rendered to when the 360 outputs it. The TV won't have to resize the image and thus it will take less rescaling steps, resulting in a clearer image (the less times you have to mess with an image, the better it will look).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom