PlayOn

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I wanted to watch Hulu on my xbox. I found this. PlayOn. I have been using it for a few hours and its awesome! You just run it on your computer and then access your computer via xbox on home network. I am using the 14 Day Free Trial. BUT I will definitely be adding this to my cart.

I will say it now. Thank you. I didnt know of this before. Got the trial and love it. I found some other scripts for some more useful things like Nick Jr and Disney cause of my little one, but this thing is fantastic. I have already purchased my license for it. I wont be without this. It is great to use.

I just downloaded the trial yesterday, and I can't get it to work.

It's because I have a nonstandard network setup. I didn't want to spend $100 for a wireless adapter for my 360, so I ran a line straight to a nearby computer, and I'm using that computer as a gateway to my wireless network. Unfortunately, doing it this way puts my 360 on a different intranet than my main network, and my 360 can't see the PlayOn host server.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and running a very long network cable from my router, through my crawlspace, to my Xbox.

PlayOn does look awesome. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my system working with it.

Edit: I ended up turning off internet sharing and I bridged the network adapters instead. PlayOn worked when I did it that way. Pretty cool. I'm not really impressed with the video quality. I wonder if it is dependent at all on the internet speeds.

You have to remember, that these files are already hosted online. Hulu is a web based service. So yeah the quality isnt going to be DVD or BluRay. You are talking about videos that are lower quality so that they dont take up a ton of server space and bandwidth to view them. Think about it. If you had all of these files in great quality you would be running upwards of 2GB or more per video. Not to mention the amount of bandwidth needed to get each person that video.

Cant expect DVD quality from online services that have to play within browsers or other video players. Not to mention server costs for storage and bandwidth costs. It may not be the greatest, but it is still a great service to have. I cant tell the difference between this and my nonHD channels from my cable box.

If you download VLC. and pick a "host" file. You can stream all the video in ANY format to your xbox as well off your comp. I have a few movies I purchased digitally and back uped on my computer and now I just transport them to "My Videos" and then I can watch any video on my xbox.

You have to remember, that these files are already hosted online. Hulu is a web based service. So yeah the quality isnt going to be DVD or BluRay. You are talking about videos that are lower quality so that they dont take up a ton of server space and bandwidth to view them. Think about it. If you had all of these files in great quality you would be running upwards of 2GB or more per video. Not to mention the amount of bandwidth needed to get each person that video.

I get what you're saying, but I was comparing watching Hulu on my HDTV through my laptop's HDMI output with watching the same shows on my HDTV using PlayOn through the Xbox. PlayOn actually recompresses the video into a format that the Xbox can understand, and that compression is adjusted to your available wireless bandwidth. I think it loses a small bit of quality in the process. But I do have a 'g' router instead of an 'n'.

Since I wrote that, I've watched a few different shows, and some of them look pretty good. I definitely think it's worth it for the convenience.

But about the quality, Hulu's high quality is 480p which is DVD quality. Definitely not BluRay, though.

It is true that the format is recompressed. I can say that even with my "N" router that most shows are not that great quality. What i did was find some scripts for shows directly from the Networks like CBS and NBC. They are a bit better quality than the ones on hulu for some shows.

But overall the thing is, they are hosted online for viewing in Flash. Which we all know to be nothing but trouble at the best of times. The quality might not be up to par, but still it doesnt lessen the experience. I have watched a lot of stuff via PlayOn and have yet to be disappointed by the amount of selection that it can offer via addons and scripts.

It is true that the format is recompressed. I can say that even with my "N" router that most shows are not that great quality. What i did was find some scripts for shows directly from the Networks like CBS and NBC. They are a bit better quality than the ones on hulu for some shows.

But overall the thing is, they are hosted online for viewing in Flash. Which we all know to be nothing but trouble at the best of times. The quality might not be up to par, but still it doesnt lessen the experience. I have watched a lot of stuff via PlayOn and have yet to be disappointed by the amount of selection that it can offer via addons and scripts.

I just changed the video quality settings from Auto to Max and it helped a little. Even with the max setting, I still don't get any slow downs or buffering.

Important
I just paid to register it because they have a $19.99 deal going on that ends today. If you buy it after today, you have to buy the new premium subscription version. They're not going to sell their pay once basic version anymore. From now on you have to pay an annual subscription fee.

Glad i decided to buy it when i did. I got in before they did the annual subscription thing.

Just checked and there is a catch to this buy before May 20, 2010 deal. We only get PlayOn Basic. So any new features added after August 2010 we will have to purchase the Premium package in order to get them as well. Which is odd cause they say that we can update to Premium for a low cost of $4.99 and that we must do it before August. After that it will cost us the same amount, $19.99. The catch there is that the update option is not available until roughly July 1, 2010.

So that gives us 1 month to decide if we want the Premium package and pay the yearly subscription fee or not. Granted they do give us the option to roll back to our Basic membership at any time. But still, we are caught in the line of fire as well for the updated packages and subscription fees.

Frequently Asked Questions | PlayOn
PlayOn Subscription Upgrade | PlayOn

There is where i got this information from. The first link is the FAQ page between the 3 different versions, the 2nd link is the upgrade page which says that upgrades wont be available till July 1st.

I am glad that i can use basic and have a lifetime license. But it stinks that we will have a locked set of features and content providers. I most certainly hope that after July 15th when they say we have the premium options until that i dont lose some of my content. That would most certainly hurt the chances that i upgrade to premium if i cant even keep the stuff i am using now since they dont list what is the set features and content now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom