New Xbox Experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Finally, it's out! Xbox picked a great time to RROD too, installed NXE this morning, and within minutes locked up. It's been running fine for 6 whole months now :(

Good thing is our robotics lab has a reflow station, going to have to try that tonight :) All my previous fixes were overheat or cheap heat gun attempts.

As for NXE, it looks nice, though I really don't see any new features. The install to HDD may be nice (my 360 has the noisiest of the 3 drive models) but I have my 20GB full of demos so I'd have to clean it out. Didn't make an avatar yet, though it looks a ton like a Mii system clone.

Agreed.

Somewhat i seem to think its the idea of Apple TV. Maybe im wrong, went on my Mates everything has changed it sucks,

Theres one way not to install it, Cancel the update ? or dont go on Xbox live :p

its meant to compete with the sony home, and have a wii/mii style. altho this is going to be much deeper then both with all the clothes constantly releasing.

I think it looks cool, don't see why it's so necessary though. It doesn't do anything new (besides install to HDD and avatars) and Netflix requires a subscription, so really those equate to nothing in terms of new features, but it is a nice looking update. I also got my 360 working after using a real reflow tool (not the stupid towel overheat tricks I used to use) so I was able to go through the new update and play with it some more.

I love the new system. Its streamlined, fast, better organized, much more community features, the avatars are MUCH more in depth than a Mii could ever hope to be, the Install to hard drive feature makes games load faster and when playing, it just seems all together smoother! No stuttering during checkpoints or anything! Oh and Netflix HD streaming is so freakin great!

One new behind-the-scenes feature I found is that it seems to take cooling into consideration. The fans seem to run faster (louder) but as long as it cools better, it can keep the RRoD away. It also keeps the fans powered up after you turn off the console, allowing the heat to be removed before turning off. I found this because I had the fan duct out of my 360 and it doesn't cool very well without it, so the fans stayed on for a while after I turned it off.

what is this new ref low technique you speak of?...because i used the X-clamp replacement and it worked well for about 60 months..but now it's back and the towel trick only fixes it for a session or so

Reflowing is when you melt the solder under the GPU and allow it to "flow" back into place and fix broken connections (reflowing). It requires a reflow station, which is a tool that has a high temperature air gun, usually low airflow with really hot air. The one I used in the lab could burn paper in less than a second (my cheap heat gun, for comparison, took 30 or more seconds to even slightly brown paper). I pointed it at the GPU for like 5 seconds (hold it too long and it'll melt the coating on the board, damage traces, or even burn the board, it will also melt/ruin chips). After that, apply new thermal paste, attach the heat sinks (X-clamp replacement method with washers and screws), and fire it up. If you didn't over-tighten the heat sinks, it should work fine. Before putting it back together, play for a few hours straight, just to make sure.

Not sure about you, but the fans usualy stay on after you turned it off on the old dashboard, that is if you was playing a game, they may have just lowered the temps till the fans kick off, but on mine, the fans always ran for 5 to ten minutes after i turned it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom