Network Connect on Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt101905

Baseband Member
I posted a thread in the networking section but nobody has answered my question yet. Ok here it is. I have my computer and my xbox 360 about 5 feet apart. I only have one wireless-G gaming adapter that I use for my comp. and xbox 360, just not at the same time. My question is could I hook up this Linksys 5 port switch to my wireless-G gaming adapter and then hook up my comp. and my xbox 360 to that switch and it still work ok? Would I lag on xbox live? I have DSL (the slowest kind) so that might make a difference. I tried plugging in a wireless router (without using the wireless feature) to my gaming adapter but I think the router is shot. It quit working a long time ago but I didn't know if it was just the wireless part that quit working or what. So if this will work should I just get this switch or should I get a wired router and plug that into my gaming adapter? I don't think useing a wireless router as a access point would work with my xbox 360 would it? Anyways thanks for all the help!
Linksys EtherFast 10100 5-port Auto-Sensing Switch EZXS55W at TigerDirect.com

--Matt

So what is your entire setup?

You probably have a router located elsewhere in your house that is connected to your DSL modem. Depending on how your access point works, you may be able to use a switch. If your wireless-G gaming adapter obtains its own IP address, then probably not (as the 360 and PC would be sharing an IP address on your router, which A) may not work and B) even if it did work Internet connectivity may be limited. It doesn't matter what kind (brand, model, etc) of switch you use, all of them are the same.

If a switch won't work, a second router won't work either. Routers are only useful when connected directly to your modem, otherwise they are nothing more than expensive switches with a bunch of useless features that you have to turn off in order to even use them as switches. What would probably be best is just a second gaming adapter, as that would guarantee your 360 gets its own IP address rather than sharing one with your PC.

As for wired vs. wireless, etc. it shouldn't matter, your speed is limited by your DSL connection, your local network (wired and wireless both) are far faster than your Internet connection.

If you have a (second) router that you aren't using, you can use it as a switch, just plug it into a PC and log on to its control panel (usually http://192.168.1.1) and disable its internal DHCP server (somewhere in the settings). Power off and on the router and it should now be operating as a plain old switch. The only thing is you can't use the Internet port for anything when it is acting as a switch, only the 4 Local ports work. Try this, disable your old router's DHCP and then plug the gaming adapter, PC, and 360 into the LAN ports on the router.

Ok thank you very much! I understand what you are saying. I will try that thing with our old router, I just hope it isn't shot. I guess I could just buy a switch at walmart (they have one) and if it doesn't work then I can return it. Thanks for all the help and everything! And yes my new router is downstairs hooked up to our DSL modem and wired to our computer downstairs. Dads computer has a wireless card, I got the gaming adapter, and mom and dad's laptops are all wireless. Anyways nice diagram by the way. Thanks for the help!

--Matt

Were you able to access the router's settings page and find an option to disable DHCP? If you couldn't get to that then either the router is broken or the settings are messed up. Try resetting the router by pressing the reset button on the back.

Yea I got to the routers settings page and it was just a one click thing. I unchecked the "Enable DHCP" and saved the settings. I tried it with my gaming adapter and stuff but I couldn't even get a internet connection with just my computer plugged into the switch. So I figure that a switch won't work just because like you said my gaming adapter will only get one IP address and might not split it up. I guess my best bet is to just go buy a Wireless-G adapter since they are so cheap and use it on my computer. Oh well....thanks!

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom