is my xbox on its way to rrod

Status
Not open for further replies.

chairzard4

Baseband Member
well recently i was playing saints row 2 and it froze on me for no reason never frozen on a game before my xbox and then i opened tray and checked disc it had dirty smudges on it so i wiped them off and cleaned disc it work now but on tony hawks proving ground i was playing for about 3 and a half hours and suddenly after i did a certain bit i couldnt move it didnt freeze it just stood there my player you could see everyone moving and i couldnt but i could go on to guide button and look around on it i tryed switching controllers that didnt help so i rebooted xbox and it worked again but tony hawks does have loads of deep scratches and scratches around it but i mean its been working for 3 weeks and my xbox was just been fine for like 2 months till now

No it is not on its way to RROD. Those are cosmetic problems due to the smudges or scratches on the disk. If it was a RROD it would be due to heat within the system.

but there small smudges and it froze yesterday and tony hawks did that problem like 30 minutes ago im just making sure its fine because i dont want to open it up again but like i said there smudges that are dirty but not that big smudges

Yeah well playing the system for 3+ hours at a time will cause this. Not everything that happens means the death of your system. The disk has deep scratches, as you said yourself. Those type of scratches cause the problems you see cause the game can not be read to continue playing. Smudges cause the same issue, but at least those can be cleaned off.

hmm suppose but surley you should be able to play the xbox for quite a while with out it screwing up at some point i left my xbox on the whole night by accident and it was still fine no freeze or messing up but like you and i said scratches can cause it and smudges but im just getting worried that it might be systems fault ?? because weve all had a really smudged up game and its works fine but these smudges were like actually dirty not just typical smudge

thankyou its just i worry because ive gotten really into my xbox now due to acheivements ect but i suppose your right even on xboxsupport.com it says smudges can freeze discs i might get rid of tony hawks because its really scratched and i mean really badly worst disc ive had lol just aslong as its the discs then thats fine :)

Well you have to realize that a freeze or a glitch doesnt automatically mean worst case scenario where you will lose your XBOX.

We can understand worrying. But you always jump to the worst case scenario when it comes to anything your XBOX does. If it takes longer than a second to load and so on. These types of things happen when using optical media such as DVD's and it will happen with extreme use like your putting your XBOX through. But right away you jump to the worst case scenario.

The system was responding, you even said so yourself. You could bring up the XBOX guide and move it around. That is not a sign of RROD. If you got a RROD, the system would just flat out shut down and wouldnt come back up. So the game freezing isnt going to cause a RROD. Not even in the worst case scenario. You gotta research these types of things before jumping the gun thinking that is what will happen.

i do jump to conclusions its just i need a true word from someone that knows what there on about but the game still moving but i cant control him till i reboot how can that be to do with scratches it must be something like system surley i dont know what i am doing at all. :/

hmm suppose but surley you should be able to play the xbox for quite a while with out it screwing up at some point i left my xbox on the whole night by accident and it was still fine no freeze or messing up but like you and i said scratches can cause it and smudges but im just getting worried that it might be systems fault ?? because weve all had a really smudged up game and its works fine but these smudges were like actually dirty not just typical smudge

Yes the system can go for quite a while. but it is not meant to be used 24/7. At most i would say 4 hours is the limit to what most would consider a normal gaming amount for a DAY. Smudges are not something that happens. I have yet to get a single smudge on any of my disks. I dont touch the bottom at all. I hold it by the sides like your supposed to.

i do jump to conclusions its just i need a true word from someone that knows what there on about but the game still moving but i cant control him till i reboot how can that be to do with scratches it must be something like system surley i dont know what i am doing at all. :/

It is NOT the system for the last time. The laser cant read the disk and do anything when it reaches the scratches. An optical device need non stop and uninterrupted stream of information to do stuff. When it reaches a smudge or a scratch the laser cant continue until it gets that information from that spot. In that time it is very easy for the system not to know what to do and your character will be stuck while the other things, people in the background, stay in motion cause they are pre-loaded into the system memory to do as much until the system gets the information from the disk.

If you dont know what your doing, research it before jumping to conclusions. If you dont have a complete understanding of how such a device works, look it up. This is the internet where this information can be found jsut by simply searching on Google, Bing or on XBOX.com itself. Find out and read as much as you can, taking a break from playing for a bit, so that when something does come up your not automatically jumping to worst case options or thinking that it is something that it possibly cant be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom