Microsoft Undercuts Wii vaule $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4x3r

AKA ComatoseClown
great article found here Microsoft undercuts Wii value with $20 Xbox 360 HDD promo

As we head into the holiday season, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will try every trick in the book in order to maximize sales. One of the best weapons Microsoft has is its price point; after the September price drop, the least expensive 360 model is selling for $200, $50 less than even the Wii. While the Arcade unit doesn't come with a hard drive, Microsoft is seeking to fix that: the company has launched a promotion giving Arcade users the choice of a free 512MB memory card or a $20 refurbished 20GB hard drive.

Gamers need only to go an official Microsoft page and enter their serial number and console ID to see if they qualify; it appears that only Core or Arcade units can take advantage of this promotion. This is Microsoft's answer to their promise of a "storage solution" in order to allow all gamers to take advantage of the new UI and Avatar functionality launching on November 19. That update will require 128MB of storage space, which would leave precious little space on the Arcade's included 256MB stick.

This move catapults the Arcade model from the gimped choice for hardcore gamers to the most affordable option for any gamer: $220 gets you the system, a 20GB hard drive, the Arcade games, and the 256MB memory card. Newer bundles will also include a copy of Sega Superstars Tennis and a Netflix trial. That's a hard deal to refuse, and absolutely creams Nintendo in the value department. Right now GameStop is selling its refurbished 20GB drives for $59.99, and the cheapest model that comes with a hard drive is the 360 Pro that retails for $299.99 and comes with a 60GB hard drive. This new deal makes the Arcade unit the best value for most gamers, one that could possibility get a batch of fence-sitters to make a choice.

pretty hard to pass up if in the market for a new console....i might get another one as the one i have is on it's way out

I was thinking about if my brother and I should split the cost of an arcade xbox 360, but what I was worried about was having to buy a hard drive. But that $220 dollar deal seems very much so worth it. Maybe I'll sell my Wii which has been sitting in my room collecting dust for months, and use that extra money for an extra 360 controller, Fable II, and an xbox live subscription.

EDIT: WOW. After seeing how much used Wiis are going for on ebay, I'm very tempted. And I also have an extra controller, Guitar Hero III with guitar, Mario Party 8, Mario Kart with the wheel, Mario Strikers Charged, and some gloves for the controllers. I might be able to get like 400 bucks for it all!

you could easily do that and afford a few more games as well

I have noticed a lot of people buy Wii's and they play them for a while and then they sit on their shelf and gather dust, that's exactly what is happening to our Wii right now.

same with my Wii..got it for brawl...beat it...and now its as good as a door stop

yeah i played my wii for about 2-3 weeks, then it collected dust for 6 months.

Turned around and sold it on ebay for almost what I paid for it.
Wii's great if you have kids you want to amuse. Other than that... It's a bit lacking.

Anyhow it's pretty sick xbox is so cheap. Might try to sell my elite and pick up one of the cheap ones XD maybe make 50$ or something. turns out im not using any hard drive space at all anyway. I just network it and run stuff right off my pc heh.

lol....the only reason i'm holding onto my wii is for the new Tales game coming out for it

Shipped my Wii to my 5 year old cousin in Minnesota. Don't have to worry about it gathering dust in my house at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom