Microsoft Extends Xbox 360 Warranty for E74 Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft Extends Xbox 360 Warranty for E74 Errors

A new way for your Xbox 360 to spontaneously die has been making the rounds for a few months and it's serious enough that your pals at Microsoft are taking action. See the official MS statement below for details on the E74 error support. What a pain in the patookie.

While the majority of Xbox 360 owners continue to have a great experience with their console, we are aware that a very small percentage of our customers have reported receiving an error that displays "E74" on their screen. After investigating the issue, we have determined that the E74 error message can indicate the general hardware failure that is associated with three flashing red lights error on the console. As a result, we have decided to cover repairs related to the E74 error message under our three-year warranty program for certain general hardware failures that was announced in July 2007.

About time too, the E74 is nothing but a special case of RRoD. If the RRoD is caused by a failed connection under the GPU, the E74 is a failed connection under the GPU that just happens to lead to the ANA chip. Exact same problem, just really unlucky if it fails on the ANA connections as Microsoft didn't cover it. Now they do, so everything's good. Hopefully they'll realize that the X-clamps are worthless and that they should fix those too.

It is always good when a company covers a system error for free. :) Now, I just hope I never get RRoD. I had it once and have been going fine ever since. If it happens again, I think I'll buy a new jasper, then have the 360 fixed via MS and sell it.

I thought my box (one I got for free and did X-clamp on) finally broke entirely so I bought a Jasper Pro (awesome console, runs really quiet)...then I fixed my old one by tightening the screws, it was working for a few weeks of very limited use as I played my new console, then I switched my old one to the hybrid X-clamp fix and it's been running fine for 2 weeks of heavy use.

I guess I have two 360's that work now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom