Messed up 360 Graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJamesJR

In Runtime
Just recently my 360 has been "stretching" the graphics out. When it does this it looks like little lasers coming out of certain objects. It started while playing Fallout 3, then would happen on every disc I put into the system. Along with this, I'm hearing ticks and static in the audio. Usually I'll hear some very distinct "static ticking" just before for freezes up.

When I go into my Dashboard and play around with the avatar creator, it stretches those out too.

Could this have happened when I updated the system to play old xbox games? When I first started noticing these issues, it used to just freeze up on system start up. Right when I turned the system on it would freeze. Well, it doesn't do this anymore. It's just really screwing graphics up. I've seen some on the post RROD issues and it doesn't look like this. It just looks like 3D lasers shooting around all over the place, off in-game objects, characters etc etc...

Could this be overheating and something with the GPU? If so, can I fix this at home without the use of expensive tools?

P.S. It still hasn't red ringed... I could run the system through freezes for hours with laser like graphics all over the place and I don't think it would RROD. Had the system +2 years and never had issues like this.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f16/tech-forums-stance-emulators-any-system-181158/

Also on this list is Console Mods. This is just like using a Mod Chip which can be used for purposes other than those intended. There are plenty of places on the web to get answers about this stuff. Tech-Forums will not be one of them.

Console Mods are specifically Mods that alter the system to do something that it was not intended to do. Adding a Hard Drive to an XBOX 360 is not considered a Mod due to the fact Microsoft has built a hard drive specifically for the XBOX system and you can buy them at many retail stores. But if you are talking about taking a different hard drive, copying over the firmware and using that, then that would fall into the Mod aspect as you are using something for the system in which it wasnt intended.

Sorry you modded the system to use it in a way it wasnt intended, we cant help you. Topic Closed.

I received an email about this. Let me make this perfectly clear. If you do not take the time to clarify your remarks, then we will do what is necessary to uphold our rules. No where in your post, KJames, do you mention that this is the same update that is gotten from XBOX directly when you insert a XBOX game that is able to be played on the XBOX 360. You just used your PC to download the update and used a separate storage device to transfer it and install it.

We are not mind readers and there are plenty of hacks and mods out there that will allow you to do such things illegally. Which is exactly why i thought what i did. Since you do not take the time to post that it is a legit action. That you installed the update to play a compatible game.

Since that is the case i will re-open the thread. But i can guarantee you that this update is not at fault. I also have done this update, since i recently purchased Halo 2 for XBOX to play on my XBOX 360 and also installed this update. I also have since been on the dashboard and played several hours of Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, CoD MW2, Halo reach among many more without a single issue. The update did not cause your problem. The problem is a factor of other things, possibly heat, that is causing your GPU inside your XBOX to do this.

I'd wager that Mak's right about the GPU overheating. It's a really odd glitch though, I have to admit.

No idea... It's an Xbox Pro I believe. Yes the glitch is very funky, I've thumbed through threads among pages on 360 related issues and haven't found anything like this. I only assumed it was a GPU or over heating error. Should I take the $20 and try to do one of those x-clamp fixes? I think i can salvage this, No RROD to date its always been very reliable and still refuses to die.

One other note, the box plays fine for the first 5 minutes or so before this is happening. I'm almost betting it's overheating. Any Idea where to start with this?

P.S. Sorry for the post mix-up. Only time I can get online is at 6AM after a long nights work. Thus = discombobulation. I'll try being more focused next time.

I would seriously consider doing the X-Clamp Mod now. Try to stay off the XBOX until you can get it done. Last thing you would want is to end up getting the RRoD and then having more work on your hands.

Update: So, I went out and picked up a few minor things for this (Expensive *** thermal paste, TORX bit heads(I think they're called), I got a few extras things as well...

So, I did not replace the X-Clamps with bolts or anything of this nature. I simply cleaned up all the old thermal paste (which was seriously all over the place under those heat sinks), then re-applied the new stuff. I fixed the current x-clamps. By that I mean I bent them back into place (they were slightly misshapen about 1/2mm or so) then put the heat sinks on nice and tight. Cleaned out all the dust and put er' back together.

Upon start up... The laser lines were still there. So I waited and let the box run a bit... Next, the lines were gone, yet she froze up on me. Now... It's been running about 15mins with no lines OR freezing. I'm going to let her run in-game for about 30/40mins before I call it fixed. If not, I'm going to increase the power of the stock fan (the thing can run on 12v, but only runs on 6???), This requires some re-wiring -.- due to the fact having a 12v fan running off the mobo would put more load and cause more heat within the mobo should I decide to do so.

So far so good. No laser lines, no freeze, air's blowing out "warmish" not very hot at all. So I'll keep you posted. I guess I would consider this a trail x-clamp fix.

Update
------------

I've been running the system for a good hour now and have had absolutely NO graphical errors (i.e. 3D laser like lines shooting out of in game objects), No ticks or hums in the audio, No freezing or lock-ups. I tired to go through as much dialog as fast as I could (spamming A through everything very quickly) to try and get it to freeze, nothing. It's been powering through everything like it were right out the box brand new. The difference in game play is like night and day, literally.

I put in fallout and went through the opening missions with ease. As soon as I went into the big open world... Crystal clear. I think this game put the most stress on the system. When I let the controller idle and the camera pan around the character (which would cause crazy lasers and instant lock-up for some reason) it took like a charm.

The air blowing out of the back is luke-warm. Not hot at all. I think the initial errors after the fix may have been the 360 "warming up" to the new clean thermal paste, which I will be cleaning/re-applying every few months now along with a good cleaning (another thing I did while the case was open). Just like getting the oil changed in your cars.

When I first started noticing the glitching a few weeks ago I did stop playing the 360. I think it's just like the Joker said...

Try to stay off the XBOX until you can get it done.

This is very important. To bite these things in the butt before they get worse. I was on the verge of swapping out a new PC for a $299 XBox. So, if you notice anything funky happening it's probably best to stop stressing the machine and do some maintenance. I didn't spend more than $20 to do this, and it's just a basic cleaning I would say. However, I can see now why people mod their cases. New fans, LEDs.. etc. Nothing like breathing life back into something on it's way out. Which is what I'm now pondering; putting in an additional case fan with green LEDs and re-painting the case. Hrm... I guess I have some research to do.

P.S. There's actual dust floating around in Craterside Supply which I was never able to notice before lol. Only think I need now is a new controller, the thumbs been sticking.

I would suggest doing the X-Clamp fix because using the same crappy brackets, you will run into the problem again shortly.

I would suggest doing the X-Clamp fix because using the same crappy brackets, you will run into the problem again shortly.

What would be a recommended clamp fix? Should I get a kit or just run to hardware store?

Nevermind, I was able to dig up all the parts info and got them from Home Depot. Did the fix, running the same as it did after the first fix. Which is very well. Still looking into some additional fan work though. Would like inset a 120mm LCD fan on the side of the case if that's possible.

FYI; Home depot didn't have enough nylon washers in stock (lol) so I'm waiting to do the cpu heatsink in a few days. Only cost me $4.95 for this fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom