How can I hook up the 360 to Live with a maxed out router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have a Linksys router w/ 4 ports. All 4 ports are being used by desktops that are online 247. I also have a laptop that on occasion hooks up wirelessly to the network.

How can I hook up my brother's 360 to the network? Can I bridge a connection somehow? Can I put in a PCI LAN card to his desktop and hook up the 360 to that? I have no clue what I can do. :(

youll need to bridge he connection from another one of your computers. yes, you can use a PCI LAN card to bridge the connection. otherwise, all i can help you with is the memorable quote "google is your friend"

Buy a switch and connect the uplink port on the switch to one of the ports on the router. Then plug the 360 and the connection you unplugged to plug in the switch into the switch. That is the easiest way.

Buy a switch and connect the uplink port on the switch to one of the ports on the router. Then plug the 360 and the connection you unplugged to plug in the switch into the switch. That is the easiest way.

i dont agree. buying and setting up a switch is harder and more expensive than buying and installing a PCI lancard (which is simply put in 'n power on)

I'm on the verge of graduating a pc technology institute, so I can handle installing a pci lan card. I just wasn't sure about the bridging portion since I really don't touch consoles at all.

I was just working on a project here in class and came across these dell switches...

What if I just bought the low end switch and connected all of the computers + the xbox to it, and the switch was the only thing plugged into my linksys router? Is that an option? Or this switch complete crap?

Small Workgroup Unmanaged Switches

What if I just bought the low end switch and connected all of the computers + the xbox to it, and the switch was the only thing plugged into my linksys router? Is that an option? Or this switch complete crap?

i cant really see much point in that. its best to have as little as possible between your computer and the internet. i have a modem, which connects to the internet, and i connect to the modem via a router, and it can be madening when something goes wrong, because you cant tell what needs fixing. honestly, your best off installing a PCI lan card to the computer which is used the least and bridging the 360 through that.

i cant really see much point in that. its best to have as little as possible between your computer and the internet. i have a modem, which connects to the internet, and i connect to the modem via a router, and it can be madening when something goes wrong, because you cant tell what needs fixing. honestly, your best off installing a PCI lan card to the computer which is used the least and bridging the 360 through that.

Hmm... yeah... I can't exactly connect a switch straight to a modem... eh? Gotta go through a router first...

I'll have to go pick up a LAN card later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom