HELP! System Link through home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappid

Beta member
I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this problem. Here is the set up. I have a DSL connection with a 2wire modem, but the people at SBC say it is also a router. The main computer is hooked up to it via ethernet, my computer is hooked up wirelessly. Now I have an xbox hooked up to my computer and I can go on Xbox Live with this setup. Now what I am trying to do is hook an xbox straight up to the 2wire modem/router thingy and just do a straight system link, not involving xbox live. I've tried many different things with Rainbow 6 3 black arrow and no luck at all. If anyone can help me out or tell me it is impossible that would be great. Thank everybody and have a great day!

I could be mistaken, but I think to even do a system link you have to have XBL.

I can do a system link right now by just connecting two xboxes together by their nics... but i do have xbox live right now, if that helps at all. I can play people online, but I can't play with other xboxes in my house. Thanks for the reply.

System Link Through Home Network

Hi Zappid.

You both are technically correct. The DSL device is a modem and a simplified router. Think of it as a gateway device. It cannot be used in the strictest sense of a network switch. You cannot use it to provide a switched internal network for connecting two xboxes. I also have a DSL provider(verizon) and have my house set up the way you wish. Here is how to do it.

Purchase a Linksys Cablemodem/DSL router. Link Here: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=604
This unit will also provide 8 switched ports to hook computers/xboxes to.

Disconnect your existing wiring and hook up as follows. Connect the
DSL modem to the WAN port on the Linksys device. Run a cable to each computer/xbox and connect to any open switch port on the linksys device. With this unit you will be able to connect 8 devices.

To make this work you will need to do some software setup on the computers and the Linksys router. In all likelyhood SBC is running PPoE. They are dynamically assigning IP addresses. You will need your account name and password to set the router up correctly for this. Then you will need to designate an internal network numbering scheme and assign all computers with this scheme. This only needs to be done for the PCs. The xbox devices automatically configure themselves and will find each other over your new network automatically.

Hope this helps you!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom