Help getting (relatively) fast internet to my basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyV71

Beta member
I have a Verizon FIOS setup in my home on the second floor of my house. I have an xbox and a slingbox in my basement. I do not have an Ethernet setup in the basement. I have tried the Ethernet bridge through the wiring to no avail. I would like to get internet access to my xbox and slingbox at a high rate of speed wirelessly. How do I do this? I am completely willing to buy hardware for this, but I'm not willing to spend the money to have the wires run through the house. Microcenter recommeneded a D-Link N Dual Band Router, but I'm seeing bad reviews on this. I also need to know what to hook the peripherals into. I'm a noob...please help.

Well first you would need to find a decent router that can transmit the signal with good strength to your basement.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/long-range-wireless-router-216116/

I have posted about my router and the signal strength i get with it here. It may be the same for you, it may not. It all depends on how the house was built. If there is more or less insulation and things inbetween the floors that can prevent the signal from being transmitted properly. If there is you will need a repeater and signal booster to get it over such a long range.

With that you should know that WiFi is not going to be as fast as wired. Ever. The fastest it is rated at now is 100-200+ mb/s. So that is going to be a lot slower than your FiOS is capable of. That is with N band as well.

Along with that you will have to buy the XBOX WiFi adapter. That itself is $100. Add that to the router and possible repeater and booster and you are talking a few hundred $ to get this working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom