GTA IV: First impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my copy for almost a week now and I have to say that there is no comparison between GTA: III and GTA: IV. This game literally makes me want to go out to my nearest electronics superstore and go in debt up to my eyeballs to buy the biggest, sharpest HD tv they have in stock just so I can soak in all the detail!

The control scheme and the handling of the individual vehicles takes a bit of getting used to but it is much more realistic. The fact that weather now effects your driving is an awesome, if at some points irritating, new feature. There is nothing that ****es you off more than being right on your target and suddenly spinning out into the side of a building because you tried to take the corner too hard on a wet road. But it's a fun irritating... sometimes. Driving and shooting takes a little getting used to. The new ability of switching weapons while in your car is a great feature, especially when you have grenades in your inventory. Cook one for a few seconds and whoever is chasing you is in for a nasty surprise. Also works well for relieving road rage! :D

I have to say that the new engine has opened up a whole new dimension in pedestrians. They move and act like real people. Now when you hit peds, instead of just falling down dead they actually look like they get hit by a car. I once accidentally crushed a guy between my car and a trash truck while backing up and it couldn't have looked better, disturbing, but awesome looking. One of my favorite new past times is what I call the Vehicular Homicide Challenge. You get in your vehicle and get up to as high a speed as you can manage (this works best on a straight stretch). Once you're going as fast as you can swerve into oncoming traffic and hit a vehicle head on, try to avoid cars parked a red lights. If you hit the car but the driver lives you get no points, if you kill the driver you get one point and making the driver eject through his windshield nabs you three points. Then you keep going to see how many points you can get before totaling your car. My highest score so far is 22 while driving a Patriot. :)

I have to say that my only real negative comment is the music. So far I've found nothing of interest and I've actually turned the music volume down as low as it will go. But then again, the other sound effects are worth losing the music for. As a matter of fact my wife, who regularly watches me play the game as she encourages my gaming habit, didn't even realize there was music in this version. I know you can play music stored on the 360 over the game audio, but it turns off the game audio completely. It would have been nice to see a radio station that plays music off the system like they had in the PC versions of Vice City and San Andreas (if anyone knows of a way to do this, please let me know as it would be awesome to cruise around Liberty City with Disturbed raging on the radio).

All in all if I were to have to give it a score I'd have to go with a 99/100%. The game is great and the only draw back is the music. If that weren't an issue this would be a perfect game and is certainly the best game out for the 360.

I love it so far. Im just worried, ive activated a Helicopter cheat, weopons cheat and a car cheat and it saved. Please tell me the only thing that will stuff is the fact ill miss a few achievements. :(

Yeah I love how you can fly out the window when you crash. Funniest thing was when I flew out of the window just before an intersection and got cleaned up by a cop car while in mid air!

I love it so far. Im just worried, ive activated a Helicopter cheat, weopons cheat and a car cheat and it saved. Please tell me the only thing that will stuff is the fact ill miss a few achievements. :(

As far as I know the only negative to cheating is the loss of the few achievements they mention. After having massive cheats in all the other games I find it hard to believe that Rock Star would punish us further for using them.

Speaking of cheats, anyone else notice that this installment is a little light on them? I mean, Vice City and San Andreas had dozens of cheats a piece and IV, so far, only seems to have a handful.

Yeah I love how you can fly out the window when you crash. Funniest thing was when I flew out of the window just before an intersection and got cleaned up by a cop car while in mid air!

Yeah, it's funny to do on a bike too. You hit something substantially solid and Niko gets launched like a lawn dart. Only downside is that the helmet rarely makes a difference. lol

Just last night I hit a guy in a convertible and sent him through his windshield, over the roof of my car to land on the pavement behind only for the poor SoB to get hit by a speeding cop car just as he was trying to pick himself up.

After the cop drove away, I got out and looted the body of $50. :D

trust it to a tech forum to nit-pick the smallest stuff. shaders, reflections, ect ect... this is a racing game, high speeds and *hopefully* high stakes. they need to make it where you have to pay for your damages to vehicles *I remember that on a n4s game, maybe hot pursuit?* but really, it's about gameplay. and of course, cheats. *honk and it flips all the cars around you, anyone remember that one?*

Its not like its even like: OMG YOU CHEATED!!

I just didnt want to wait all those mission before i had a gun decent enough to destroy the city with. lol.

I have been tempted to crank up the cheats and blow stuff up.. But so far I have been able to hold out, I haven't even touched a gun yet. Just driving around and doing an occasional mission has been enough for me so far.

Okay im on 35 percent now and racked up 15 hours. I have found a few annoying things. Police..oh so many of them, this is beond realistic. This is realistic on ultra over the top mode. If you walked into your nearest city right now, and fired a gun at a wall, you would not get 3 police cops at your location within 10 seconds - would you ? This seems to be the case in Liberty City. No big deal at first you think, but it almost entirely ruins the idea of being able to do whatever you want. In previous installments of GTA you could kill so many people and blow up so many cars and get 1 or 2 stars, them one or two starts on GTA 3/VC/SA would be 5 or 6 stars on GTA 4, this means you can do very little fun things, like randomly sniping ugly woman, setting up road blocks and then shooting cars till they blow up (as soon as you fire one shot you have to leave the area and miss all the action, or 5 seconds and 3 shots later and your dead)

Were did all the fun weapons go ? no chainsaw, no nuckle dusters, no satchel charges (a personal favourite), no chain gun.

Fun vehicles ? - Tanks, no, army helicopters, no, jets, no, parachute, no, jetpack, no... and the list continues

FORTUNATELY the endorphin engine makes previously boring things extremely fun, making up for the rather limited set of things you can do before getting 1+ stars. And the missions are (for me) very gripping, interesting and fun, making me rarely want to do anything else but missions anyway.

***POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT***Oh, one last thing. the NOOSE. DIE ALREADY ! ! ! ! SO MANY SHOTS, AND THEY GET BACK UP. GAHHHH THEY DRIVE ME INSANE (yes im talking about the bank robery mission, 3 attempts, 25 grenades later, and 30k down, i completed it) Thanks **** for the 250k reward. / ***POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom