Fixing an Xbox 360...

Status
Not open for further replies.
all the hardware seems to be working fine... accept for one thing.

When I put a 360 disk in it says "please put this disk in an xbox 360 console to play it'

I think it may be because I booted it up without the CD drive in it and microsoft thinks im modding or somthing.

now its not working... this is interesting... And I think I am going to put more thermal paste on it.

You can boot it up without the drive connected AS LONG AS you are not connected to the Internet. If you log onto Live with the drive disconnected Microsoft will ban your console for "modding". If you are disconnected, you can have the drive off and nothing will happen. If it's acting up, try unplugging and plugging the drive back in, both the power and SATA cables that go to it.

Also make sure your disk isn't scratched up. If your 360 is an older model, and considering it had RROD, it probably is, then it may scratch disks if you move the DVD drive when it's running (you'll hear a loud scratching grinding noise from the drive and find rings of scratches around your game disks, mine did that when I was testing it, had it all torn apart). My copy of Guitar Hero 3 does that "Put this disc in an Xbox 360 console to play it" thing, what that means is that the 360 isn't identifying the disk correctly, thinking it is a DVD-video disc, and then playing it as one (try putting the game in a DVD player, it does the same thing.

Try cleaning your disc and use a scratch repair kit if you have to. Then just try putting the disc in and out a bunch of times until it works (that's what I had to do, some reason it works fine now though).

I also have a 360 that works good. The disks will work in my 360 but not in his... COD4 seems to work fine but any other game dosn't want to work. I will try wiggling the plug to get things working, and yes my friends xbox thinks its a DVD player...

Also I fixed the overheating... Not enough Thermal paste.

also my PC doesn't have a SATA port on it so I cant hook it up to my computer to try and fix it.

Hey i'm thinking about doing the 12v fan mod. I've found this guide. Do you think it will work?

Calc's Guide to the 12V Fan Mod (How to Increase Cooling...Free) - Xbox 360 Forum

*edit*

here is the best pic of the MB IDK what kind it is.

cpugpu.jpg

Lol yeah, I wrote that guide :)

The 12V fan mod isn't as great as I said it was in that guide...I had it modded and all it did was make it loud. It still got the RROD occasionally. I have since uninstalled the mod and set it up normally and it doesn't RROD any faster than it did before, but it is loads quieter. The problem is that the heatsinks don't take enough heat off the chips even with thermal paste, because even when the heatsinks are cool to the touch it will RROD (crash while playing games).

WTF! Someone fix the forums! I clicked the post reply button ONCE and it sat there for a while thinking and when I refreshed I had double posted!?! The forums are lagging horribly!

Anyways, I'll edit this double post into something useful.

The fan mod DOES increase cooling greatly, but I'm questioning the usefulness of the extra cooling. Mine still got RRoD with the fan mod (it worked but got RRoD on occasion and I had to re-overheat it). Mine is a Xenon (original hardware revision) system.

Yours appears to be a Zephyr system (hardware revision 2) because it has a secondary heatsink on the graphics processor, an HDMI port, and a normal heatpipe heatsink on the CPU. The third revision (Falcon) has the secondary heatsink, an HDMI port, and a new heatsink without the heat pipe on the CPU. There's also a new version coming out soon called Jasper, it will have a new graphics processor designed to reduce the amount of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom