Fix the red ring of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
im sick of towel tricks and the heat gun.. i want to know how to fix it the right way and how much it will cost me? i want to do it myself or have a computer techy do it. what needs to be done to fix this problem.

Well you probably got one of the systems that has the weak solder. If you want to fix it for good you can try to replace the solder yourself haha. You can add custom cooling to it by adding more fans or if you know someone that is good at liquid cooling you can try that.

For about 50$ if you search or go to a good place, they will fix it. Or contact customer care, you ship it. then you should get it back within 10-12 weeks. Long wait tho :(

Don't pay Microsoft, if your console is out of warranty, do the X-clamp replacement mod.

My friend just gave me his old RROD'd XBOX 360, I just did the X-clamp replacement mod and it's up and running, took about a day to do (I also did the 12 volt fan mod and the towel trick a few times) and runs great.

What you do is replace the X-clamps that hold the heatsinks in place with machine screws (5mm thick, 10 to 12mm long) and use washers to space it right. Take out the motherboard, then use a 3/16" drill bit to make the holes in the bottom of the metal shell wider. Then stick 8 10 to 12mm machine screws through the holes, then put a steel washer on bottom and a nylon washer on top. Then put the motherboard in, putting the screws through the heatsink holes. Then put a nylon washer on each screw followed by a steel washer. Clean off the chips and heatsinks and then apply new thermal compound (I used Arctic Silver 5, working excellently). Then put the heatsinks back on and tighten down the screws. The screws hold the chips tighter against the board, ensuring a good connection, while the new thermal paste extracts heat much better than the old stuff. The 12v fan mod makes the fans run fast, so it helps remove the heat from the heatsinks. That's what I did, it's working very well (but I just fixed it today, so I'll keep you guys updated if it fails).

I recommends taking it to someone that knows exactly what they are doing. Sending it to microsoft can take forever. I've been hearing more and more people having this problem. Get someone to fix the solder and add better cooling and you should be good to go! That would probably be me:)

Eh, fix it yourself if you're not going to return it to M$! It's not hard, and my X-clamp replacement has been working for a few days now with no crashes or glitches whatsoever. If you're not able to do an X-clamp mod (which doesn't require any knowledge of soldering) then you can let a friend who knows how to do that kind of stuff fix it, doesn't take long...remember the thermal paste!

I also did the 12v fan mod, which greatly improves cooling, but it is LOUD, so I may undo that.

Well I've only had 1 RROD and that was about a year after I got the thing. Thankfully a couple dayslater Microsoft announced that there were free fixes for consoles up to 3 years after their purchase date. So I just phoned them up, waited 3 days for an agent to pick up and had them send me a repair box. Took about 2 weeks total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom