Falcon on a Arcade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt101905

Baseband Member
I got a xbox 360 pro the christmas after it was released. I got the RROD and sent it to Microsoft. They sent me a different refurbished xbox 360 pro that had a 90-day warrenty instead of the 1 year warrenty. That really made me mad. Well later the refurbished one started freezing some and it was out of warrenty so instead of paying $99 to get it repaired I bought a new xbox 360 Arcade. It kept freezing right out of the box so I returned it and got a new arcade. The date on my new xbox 360 is 2008-10-15. Does that mean it has the Falcon (GPU?) in it or do they not even upgrade the arcades? Anyways I bought a 120HDD for it and I still have the HD component cables from my old Pro. I'm thinking of selling my old Pro to Hastings. What do you think I should do with it? Thanks

--Matt

Here are the revisions:

HARDWARE 1 "Xenon":
-90nm CPU
-90nm GPU
-NO HDMI
-single GPU heatsink
-Uses 16.5A on 12V rail, comes with 203W power brick

HARDWARE 2 "Zephyr"
-90nm CPU
-90nm GPU
-Has an HDMI port
-Extended GPU heatsink with heatpipe
-Uses 16.5A on the 12V rail, comes with 203W power brick

HARDWARE 3 "Falcon"
-65nm CPU
-90nm GPU
-Has an HDMI port
-Extended GPU heatsink with heatpipe
-Uses 14.2A on the 12V rail, comes with a 175W power brick

HARDWARE 4 "Jasper" (brand new, appears in consoles made on/after November 2008)
-65nm CPU
-65nm GPU
-Has an HDMI port
-Has extended GPU heatsink with heatpipe
-Uses 12.1A on the 12V rail, may come with a 175W or 150W power brick

The consoles most prone to the Red Ring of Death are the original 2 (Xenon and Zephyr) because the 90nm CPU and GPU combined make a ton of heat that can damage the connections between the board and the chip. The Falcon improves the failure rate dramatically, but the 90nm GPU is still present. The Falcons are still prone to Red Ring of Death errors because the GPU heat can break the connections under the chip. The Jasper boards are the best, as the 65nm chips produce much less heat than their 90nm counterparts. My new Jasper console barely puts out any noticeable heat, while my old Xenon can significantly heat up a cold room during gaming sessions.

Judging by the MFR date on your console, it is most likely a Falcon, though if you're lucky it could be a Jasper. The Jaspers first appeared in Arcade packages, so you may have one. Check your amp rating on the back of your console. Also, if your console has 256MB internal memory (and didn't come with a memory unit), then it is definitely a Jasper.

As for your old Pro, selling it won't get you a whole lot of money, the thing is doomed. It may just be freezing now, but freezing is just days away from a full blown red ring of death. The best thing to do is sell it to someone who knows how to fix it, you won't get anywhere near the price of a working used console, but you can get some cash for it and give it a second chance (my friend gave me his old 360 and I managed to fix it, been using it for a year but finally decided to get a new one, got a Jasper on Sunday and just in time, the old one is having issues again).

Thank you so much for all your help. No my arcade does not have a internal 256mb memory unit. So let me get this right, if it does have the internal 256mb memory unit then it is definitly a Jasper? If so that sucks. My girlfriends little brother bought a xbox 360 arcade for this last christmas, it had the internal memory. Anyways we had to take it back to walmart and exchange it because his step sister (a real pain) when and set his family settings without him knowing it and we couldn't reset it. She did it just to make him mad. Anyways so since the Jaspers are in the arcade too (right?) do you think it would be a good idea if I returned my current acrade to walmart when I find a jasper there? I have exchanged my arcade already this month and I have a 2 year after warrenty service plan with walmart. Although mine works fine should I replace it...or should I just wait and see if it crashes and then return it. I do play my arcade alot and for long periods too. Is the Jasper faster than the Falcon? You said to check my amp rating on the back of my arcade, where is it at? By the serial number and bar code? I just had a quick look last night at the date and didn't see the amp rating. I'm currently at college and won't get home til around 7:15 or 7:30 tonight. Thanks for all the help!

Oh and what you said about selling my old pro. It only freezes when you play it a long time most of the time, but hastings gave me a estimate and said they might could give me $100 for it. Its currently sitting in its box at my upstairs. My new one works fine so....well thanks

--Matt

They all run at the same speed, the only difference is the heat output, power consumption, and chance of getting the RRoD. If you think you can get away with it, returning may work, but I'm not sure you could get away with it.

Well I've returned my arcade before...all I say is that it keeps freezing and they make sure everything is with it and I go and get a new one. Pretty easy.

That information you gave me in a earlier post about how the Jaspers were released in November...well my girlfriends little brother arcade that hes got now is a Jasper and its date is 2008-10-14. Mine is a 2008-10-15 and I have a Falcon. Both arcades. His does have the internal memory and I checked the amp, and its 12.1A. Maybe this is one of the first Jaspers being released? Anyways thanks!

Nobody knows exactly when the first ones were made, but what we do know is that November models seem to all be Jaspers, so if you get a November one, it's a pretty solid chance. No way of knowing for certain, but it's something to look for. Sometimes you can see the ".1" from 12.1A (you'll see ".1A" or "1A" because the box covers up the rest), that's a true 100% guarantee that it's a Jasper.

Coolness thanks for everything! Well we know the Jaspers were released in the middle of october just because my girlfriends brothers arcade is a jasper and it is 2008-10-14. Anyways thanks for all the help!

--Matt

Matt, Are you going to sell it?

Well yea I'm thinking about it, I have no way to sell it unless I sell it on here. I mean the only way I can take it to hastings and sell it is if I use my arcade box because I don't have the 20gig hardrive it came with. I dont want to use my arcade box because I have a 2 year warrenty with walmart (after the 1 year microsoft warrenty) so I need to keep the box. Anyways other than that I'd just pawn it or keep it as a back up. Why were you asking? You can pm me if were not supposted to be talking about stuff like this in this section.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom