E74 error code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Hey guys I have a friend whos xbox360 is giving him a e74 error code and not working. I was wondering what is the best way to fix this??? (MS won't). I was thinking towel trick but would like to know if theres anything more permanant (heard that fix doesn't last).

Has anyone tried this
YouTube - How to fix E74 on xbox 360 (not towel trick) Tutorial (guy takes gpu heatsink off and applies new paste, runs xbox for 10 seconds without heatsink.)

E74 is covered by the 3 year extended warranty so MS will fix this provided his console is not older than 3 years. (which it probably isn't too old since E74 mostly affects the systems with HDMI ports)

There are two chips, his E74 was related to an old issue, but on the other end of the wires from the GPU is I think the HANA? chip, and that deals with HDMI, if the connection breaks between either that chip or the gpu anywhere you will get the E74 error.

He already sent it to MS. They told him they wouldn't cover it. I think he said its because its a refurb.

Your best bet would be the X-clamp or hybrid X-clamp fix.

Normally what causes the E74 error is a cracked solder joint under the GPU so adding pressure can fix it. With the X-clamp fix's you replace the x-clamps that hold the heat sinks down with bolts, I've done this to 2 xbox's and it works well.

And BTW after you guys did the x-clamp did you guys let the system overheat? I didn't I just kept messing with the bolts until it worked.

I would not take the heatsinks off and run the box, that's a bad idea. The "reflow" tricks involving heating up the console generally do not work, as the console never heats up enough to do a true reflow of the solder.

Instead, do a clamp mod. I suggest Team Hybrid's Ultimate X-Clamp Replacement. It removes the X-clamps, installs screws for the heatsinks, and then repurposes the X-clamps as foam block holders to clamp the motherboard between a pad of foam and the heatsink, evening the force on both sides to prevent warping. I've done this mod on two different consoles, worked both times. The second one I didn't have the X-clamps so I used a rectangular metal plate instead.

E74 is caused by a faulty connection between the GPU and the ANA/HANA chip. This could be anywhere along that path. Generally it is under the GPU (and thus the ANA/HANA is fine). Normally a bad connection under the GPU causes RRoD, but if the one going to the ANA breaks, it can give E74 instead. This means that both errors are pretty much the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom