Buying a 360? Look here first! Good tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Alright. Since I bought my Xbox 360 off ebay I decided to do research and found several thousand more units for reasonable prices, so I figured.. if these are gonna sell, why not give tips to people on the forum, in hopes they get what they really want?

So.. here it is! The Ebay and Generalized Xbox 360 buyer's guide V1.0

This is not a complete list.
This is not professionally done.
This is just the typical first things to look at.

First off, there are a lot of systems with the label "Platinum" ... as far as I know, there is no such version of the Xbox 360. They MIGHT be refering to the "Platinum Package" that was a Premium Console available with a couple of games for the Holiday Seasons, however this has yet to be confirmed.

Arcade.
This unit has no Harddrive, but essentially is the same as the others, the benefit of having a harddrive is to save your gamer profile on (you can also do this with removable memory cards) and to be able to download content for games for bonus features, and of course, import your own videos/music/pictures to view/listen to on your 360. Harddrives are transferable, and if buying NEW I highly recommend a Arcade version, here is why. They DO have a internal memory of 256MB for saving information, but this won't be enough for downloadable content.

Arcade versions are the most likely to have the new Jasper board, you can identify if it does by peeking through the hole in the box and looking at the power area, if it says 12.1A it has the new Jasper board. The benefit of this board is fantastic, less heat from the use of a better formed system, which helps keep from Overheating and possibly even RROD on you. You can later pick up a harddrive (even a 20GB will work for most people, about 1/2 the 20GB is used for Xbox related things, and 11GB is a lot of room for Download content and music, and remember any DLC you buy you can always re download anytime, so if your pressed for space, you can delete it for games you no longer play as much, and then if you go back you can re-download and play again)

Here is a image of the 12.1A you will look for:
12vrating2.jpg

Most old Arcades also come with a 256 memory card, so you can store your profiles and such on there, and take to any Xbox 360 and port them over, as well as download unique things from stores just by putting your memory into the designated areas (Wal-Mart has one stating "get your free content here, just plug in your memory card" and has the little slot)
(Sadly the new Jasper boards do NOT come with this. 512MB versions sell for $30=$50 around my area, Missouri)

Arcade versions also come with some Demo Games and some Freebie fun for all games, so if you don't get the games you REALLY want right now, you can still enjoy gaming.

Premium/Pro consoles.
Pro is just the saying "Go Pro" but many advertise as a "Pro Console" some including a 60GB hard drive. You may NOT get a HDMI Port on these systems, some have them, some don't.

Elite console:
These are hyped up versions, there are very little differences between them, despite shell color or minor revisions. All Elite Units (Except Resident Evil 5 versions) can still RROD as they still overheat , and twist and warp the board. Elite consoles come with a huge 120GB harddrive, and that is pretty much the only real difference since the boards still error. These harddrives alone can easily be $140

Resident Evil 5:
This version supposedly has 100% chance of the new Jasper board on top of a Red/Black color scheme and if bought new, the RE5 Video Game. Also includes a whopping Harddrive, but is also the most expensive system.

"Core" systems:
Avoid this at all costs, these are the original Xbox 360 launches, plagued with more problems then any other, and will likely make so you so angry you will throw it out the window, literally. Prone to lock ups, freezing, RROD, E74, and AbuseByUsers that were angry.

The boards:
The boards they come with vary from generation of Xbox to the next. Only recently have the changes been Sufficient enough to actually consider buying a new system and selling your old.

Jasper.
Newest, best. This board uses less power then any other, the reason is the shrunk size in GPU and CPU, without losing performance. Technology advanced and Microsoft Jumped on it for their 360's as a way to Stop RROD. It is unknown if you might still possibly RROD with this board, however, no systems have been reported as of yet as Red Ringing with it, giving us all much hope for it. This board also has HDMI. This board can also use ANY power brick because it has the least power used.

Falcon.
Long sought out after, this WAS the best board, it has HDMI, and a smaller chip for the GPU (or was it CPU... grr I forgot, but one of them is smaller, using less power and causing less heat) These boards have still RROD before, but typically only from Hot/Humid climates and poor air ventilation. This board can use any but the 150W Jasper Power brick.

Zephyr.
This is the board I have, it has HDMI, but the old chips (the larger ones) and over heats easily if anything goes wrong. uses only 203W power brick. I believe all of them have a "secondary GPU Heat sink" which is really just a heat pipe connecting to a small sink for additional cooling.

Now, some detail tips.

If buying off of Ebay, be aware of a few things.

First off, since you plan to play Online with your friends and stuff, make sure any unit you buy has "MS seal in tact" or "Microsoft Seal In Tact". This means the unit has NOT been opened or modded, this means a heap really, I will explain more as we go.

Do not buy "Fan Mods" or "Rapid Fire controller mod" or any other mod for that reason, or a "flashed" drive, reasons for these are being Illegal, or against Microsoft Policy and you will have your Live account banned if found with them. Also, the DVD it comes with is very important, if they replaced the drive, you may not be able to get on Live with your account, without being banned. This is brutal in most cases, it's hard to find out if someone replaced the drive or not.

If you buy one, I highly recommend making a Dummy Xbox live account and trying to log in with it first, to see if it gets banned from live, this way YOUR profile won't be.

If you are buying a Broken System to fix up, STAY AWAY FROM E74, E73, and typically everything but "RROD" where 3 red lights are blinking. Using the Hybrid X-Clamp replacement, you should be able to fix RROD without much trouble at all.

If you don't wanna fix it or mess with that or unsure if you are capable, I would default back to buying a New Arcade version and a Harddrive used from someone here on the forum. (someone you can trust a little better then just Ebay.)

Be careful buying ANYTHING for Xbox 360 on Ebay, almost everything I have looked up (Harddrive, Power bricks, AV cables, Ethernet, etc) all have Cheap knock offs, and worse, illegally modified/refurbished models that I wouldn't trust.

I would not buy anyone else's Xbox 360 from ebay that has "X clamp replacement" You don't know too much on this, which version they used, what parts, and if they did it properly or not, this could come back and bite you hard if your not careful. This is why I look for "MS seal in tact" on things I buy, including Harddrives.

Stay away from "Intercooler" third party Fans, as these have been known to burn systems in the past. This is an accessory, but it needed said.

There will probably be more, but that should be more then an Eye Full to start you out. There are a lot of things I didn't cover, however, covering every possible thing would be insane to do for a thread. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, here or in PM or just in threads you start, we will be glad to answer anything you can throw at us.

You forgot Xenon, the old first-run board without HDMI. They use 16.5A and come with a 203W power brick. They don't have the extended GPU heatsink unless they are refurbished units.

As for fan mods and rapid-fire mods, they are NOT illegal. Fan mods simply help cool your box more, Microsoft doesn't care what you use to cool your box. They only care if you try to hack their games. As far as rapid fire controllers go, they are really lame but not illegal...turbo controllers are nothing new, third party controllers have had rapid-fire modes since the days of the NES if not earlier.

Also, if they are going to ban you because of a modded box, they ban your console and not your profile. Connect a bad console to Live and they'll block that console (possibly the account too, but they do ban the console itself).

The new Arcades (the ones with the Jasper board) do not come with a 512 or 256MB MU. Instead, they have a 256MB internal Flash upgrade that shows up as a 256MB MU. The only difference is that it isn't removable. Half of it gets used for the New Xbox Experience, leaving you with around 128MB free. Lame. The Pro and Elite Jasper models do not have this extra memory despite being a Jasper board, only the Jasper boards for Arcade units have the Flash upgrade.

As for getting a Jasper, you really can't tell easily. The best thing that you can actually look for is MFR Date, find a box manufactured after November 2008 and it is probably a Jasper. You can't see the 12.1A on Pro units without tearing the box. You can, however, easily see the MFR date through the cutout in the box because the MFR date is right under the serial bar code. Make sure you buy a 360 at a store that lets you see each box, that way you can pick the newest one and hopefully get a Jasper.

Good job writing the guide. I'm guessing the guide is not yet complete... I have some suggestions

-I would talk about what the RROD is, how it can be fixed, what causes it, and how you can prevent it.
-I would give a little info on the different DVD drives that the 360 has and what happens when you move a 360 when it's on and a disk is spinning what happens.
-As Calc said you did not talk about the Xenon board which was the first board that had a 90NM CPU & GPU and did not have HDMI. (this is the board that I got)
-I would list the specs, what it can do and what it cant (It can't play blu-ray it can play HDDVD's if you but the HDDVD drive)
-I would say that the 360 does not come with built in wireless and that you have to buy it later
-I would say you can use a remote with the 360 (From MS or 3rd party) that uses IR)
-I would say the the 360 hard drive is easily removable
-I would list the ports on the 360 (2 Memory card slots, 2 USB ports in front, One port for the removable hard drive, an IR pickup, one USB port in the back, one CAT 5 cable port in the back, an A/V port, a port for power, any 360 that does not come with the Xenon board has an HDMI port.
-I would expand on accessory's you can buy for your 360 as well as accessory's that are useless or can harm your 360.
-I would give a info on xbox live, netflix, arcade games, downloadable xbox games, and the NXE download.
-I would post a link to the web page Microsoft has that lists all the xbox games that can be played on a 360
-I would give the benefits of having a hard drive (download TV shows/movies, DLC, download games, installing games, more room for saves, music, pictures.
-I would give a little info on the connecting your 360 to your PC using media center
-I would talk about the differences between xbox live gold and xbox live silver.
-I would talk about the party system/chat/messaging.
-I would give a little info on installing games onto your hard drive.

That's what I can think of (I know it is very repetitive) If I can think of any more I'll post them.

kinda off..people keep going on about the RROD..it's just hit or miss

i had my xbox since launch, no issues. sold it to a friend, he had no issues..he traded to a guy...no issues, traded back...still no issues.

kinda off..people keep going on about the RROD..it's just hit or miss

i had my xbox since launch, no issues. sold it to a friend, he had no issues..he traded to a guy...no issues, traded back...still no issues.

It really is hit or miss (I have a xenon that has not gotten RROD... Got it a little more then 2 years ago) but there are basic things that you can do that can help like making sure you don't put your xbox on a carpet, block the vents, etc.

Yea I left a lot out because of the insane Whole-Web page I would have to write if I wanted to make "the ultimate guide"

Sadly I don't have the webbing abilities to do that, or I would.

The Disc thing.. is in the manuals.... lol. "Do not change the orientation of the console while a disc is running" or something like that.... "this could cause permanent damage" I believe is also included... and.. it's kinda common sense.... (although with my HDMI unit I TRIED to break a disc in there, repeatedly rotating it from Horizontal to Vertical to Half way in between both, to even front side up and the music never even skipped and the disc never was heard) So yea... apparently it's not all the units that scratch discs either, mine seems Un-Scuffable.

My guide was also a more general guide to "buying" most of what you have listed is technical data that is found elsewhere on the forums, or in the manuals themselves. Some data I simply don't know, nor care to find out (like Media Center transfers, I just use a USB Jump Drive) I also don't have any experience with System link or anything like that.....

I left out the first version as they are most commonly on the "Core" system, and those should be avoided, most simply because you can get a Efficiently Working newer system for the same prices.

Meh you all can steal this and type more if you want, I was just trying to help out :p If i had webspace I'd type an "all you need to know about the 360" guide, and include every little detail I could find on the systems, even Release Dates and all that.

Oh and the Rapid Fire mod and Cooling:
A police officer was in GameStop with me when I got the information, HIS account was banned from LIVE and the only thing he did was have Rapid Fire mod and a Intercooler fan on the back. He said he didn't think it was the cooler, since he had it forever, but just got the 25shots-per-second Rapid Fire Moded Controller.... so... I say DON'T RISK IT.

And... he said there was word when he contacted Xbox Services that "Tampering with fan speeds" COULD lead to a ban. I don't know about all that.. but since I have no proof otherwise.. I kept it in as information.... better to be safe then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom